Back to the town of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
Tourism in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
The Fortress of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
The Fortress was built during the XII-th century by the Estensi's family and it is still today in a perfect conservation state thanks to the numerous restoration works operated along the centuries.
The Fortress was the seat of the Estensi's commissars thus it hosted several famous people like Ludovico Ariosto (1474-1533) and Fulvio Testi who governed Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, the first one from 1522 to 1525 whereas the other one from 1640 to 1642.
Today the Fortress hosts a permanent exhibit about the Ligurian culture in the Garfagnana area, that is the high valley of the Serchio river, developed from III-th century B. C. to II-th century B. C..
The exhibit also includes a collection of objects dating back to the Bronze and Mesolithic Ages.
An entire section is dedicated to this latter and collects some finds came to light in the territory of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana.