|Back to the province of Arezzo
Anghiari (ZIP code 52031) is 35,4 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Anghiari has a population of 5.847 inhabitants (Anghiaresi) and a surface of 130,51 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 44,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 429 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza del Popolo 9, phone ++39 0575 - 789522, fax ++39 0575 - 789947: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Anghiari had a popolation of 5.877 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 5.847 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,51% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.157 families with an average of 2,71 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 298 and 1.407 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.109 metres.
Work and workers:There are 165 industrial firms employing 523 people that are the 38,71% of the total of the workers. There are 119 service firms employing 217 people that are the 16,06% of the total of the workers. There are also 113 firms employing 358 people that are the 26,50% of the total of the workers. There are also 45 administrative offices emplying 253 workers that are the 18,73% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.351 workers, that are the 23,11% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Anghiari rises on a promontory placed between the Sovara torrent and the Tiberina valley.
The economy of the town is mainly based on the industrial activities in the wood, shoe and confectionary fields, on the sheep-farming and agriculture. Remarkable is also the restoring activity of furnitures and ancient musical instruments.
According to some recent discoveries the origin of the first settlements would go back to the Etruscan Age.
The place name comes from the Latin word "angularis" that literally means on the corner, referring to a three-cornered castle whose surrounding formed the town of Anghiari.
The town of Anghiari formed around that castle built on the western area of the Tiberina valley by the Byzantines, who wanted to oppose to the Longobard invasion that had occupied the city of Arezzo.
Around the half of VII-th century the Longobards invaded the territory of Anghiari taking possession of the castle and of the close settlements. The Galbino's Counts installed quickly in those territories and their domination lasted for a long.
In 1028 Bernardo Galbino got some rights on his brother's castle, Alberigo di Ranieri di Galbino. Later the castle was inherited by Bernardino, Bernardo di Galbino's son who, being ill, in 1104 wrote his wills naming as his absolute heir the Monks of Camaldoli with the only condition to build a monastery in Popano as his burial.
In 1105 the monastery was built in Anghiari and the monks took the control on the town that during the next years welcomed the close communities and expanded largely. At that time were born the first markets and artisan workshops for the manufacturing of ceramic and the production of potteries.
Around the end of XII-th century Anghiari was besieged and destroyed by the influential city of Arezzo that wanted to install its control on the town.
In 1181 started many works for the rebuilding and fortification of the town of Anghiari.
According to a legend Saint Francesco passed through Anghiari in 1224 and after a short stop at one of his friends, he gave his friend a suit that today is saved in the Chiesa di Ognissanti (All Saints' Church) in Florence, and he drove a cross in the territory where today rises the district called Borgo della Croce (District of the Cross).
In 1227 the control on Anghiari was achieved by the Podestà Guido Gottifredi after whose domination took turns other podestà up to the final consolidation by Arezzo's power occurred a few years later. In 1228 was built a first canal to avoid the stagnation of the rain waters on the territory and the marshy phenomenon. Those waters were leaded to the close torrent and the area of Anghiari became more fertile thus promoting the developing of agricultural activities.
In 1309 the Tarlati family from Arezzo invaded Anghiari and took the control of the town. Under the Tarlati's domination the town was enlarged and restored. The town entered in 1440 in the Florentine Republic control.
Under the Florentine domination the inhabitants of Anghiari continued carrying out their agricultural activities and they started to cattle some bows thus promoting a flourishing trade with Florence based on agricultural products such as grain, vine, millet and rye.
During the Florentine period took place an important urban upgrading by restoring the ancient Medieval buildings and adding architectural and decorative elements but without changing the urban order.
The Florentine domination on Anghiari lasted up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 for the will of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments in Anghiari we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie (Saint Mary of the Graces Church), the Chiesa di Sant'Agostino (Saint Augustine Church), the Chiesa di Santa Croce (Saint Cross Church), the Badia (Abbey), the Torre dell'Orologio (Tower of the Clock), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace) and the Palazzo Taglieschi (Taglieschi Palace).
Among several celebrations taking place periodically in Anghiari we point out the traditional "Scampanata" held on May every five years. The Scampanata is a funny folkloristic game involving all inhabitants of Anghiari. The players have to appear at 6.00 a.m. in Piazza Baldaccio (Baldaccio Square) on Thursdays and Sundays on May. The game over carries as penality the participation to a procession on a float going through the town and the subduing the various garbages threw from people.