|Back to the province of Arezzo
Photo © Municipality of Castel focognano
Castel Focognano (ZIP code 52016) is 25,7 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Castel Focognano has a population of 3.328 inhabitants (Focognanesi o Rassinesi) and a surface of 56,6 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 58,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 310 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Mazzini 3, phone ++39 0575 - 51541, fax ++39 0575 - 5154322: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Castel Focognano had a popolation of 3.343 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.328 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,45% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.274 families with an average of 2,61 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 281 and 1.458 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.177 metres.
Work and workers:There are 89 industrial firms employing 389 people that are the 42,89% of the total of the workers. There are 69 service firms employing 143 people that are the 15,77% of the total of the workers. There are also 87 firms employing 287 people that are the 31,64% of the total of the workers. There are also 21 administrative offices emplying 88 workers that are the 9,70% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 907 workers, that are the 27,25% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Castel Focognano rises along the eastern side of the Pratomagno mount in the Casentino area, dominating the Soliggine torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of wheat, fodders, grapes and olives and on the activity of numerous industries working in the fields of chothes and cement.
The place name comes from the compound of "castello" (castle), coming this latter from the Latin "castellum", and of "Focognano", coming this latter from the Latin proper name of person "Falconius" or "Fulcunius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added to indicate "belonging".
The first settlements in the area of Castel Focognano go back to the Etruscan Agem as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to that time.
During the next centuries the territory depopulated, repopulating again only around the XI-th century, when a castle was erected and around it the community gathered and built its houses.
The village of Castel Focognano is quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 1028, testifying the presence of a fortified castle, equipped by a doble ring of walls.
Photo © Municipality of Castel focognano
At that time the village was under the jurisdiction of the Giannellini's family that held the properties along the next three centuries.
In 1322 the territory of Castel Focognano was invaded by the troops of Guido Tarlati, Bishop of Arezzo, and after a long siege the village had to surrender to the power of Arezzo.
Later the property of the castle of Castel Focognano passed to the Umbertini's family and then to the domains of the Republic of Florence that started its policy of territorial expansion conquering numerous villages of the Casentino area.
The village of Castel Focognano was first under the jurisdiction of the Medici's Grand Dukes, who elevated the village to a Podestà's seat of the Florentine countryside.
The Medici's domination lasted uninterruptedly up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century when, by dieing the last Medici's descendant, Castel Focognano passed to the Lorena's Dukes.
In 1778 the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena moved the administrative seat of the common to the close village of Rassina, staying there up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Castel Focognano we point out here the Chiesa di Sant'Antonino (Saint Anthony Church), the Podesteria (Podestà's seat), the Mulino del Bonano (Bonano's Mill) and la Torre di Ronda (Ronda Tower), that today is the seat of the "Documentation Centre of the rural culture of the Casentino area".
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Castel Focognano we remind the "Saint Anna's Fair" held yearly on July, during which it is possible to taste several good typical local foods.