Back to the province of Arezzo

Castiglion Fiorentino

Photo © Municipality of Castiglion Fiorentino Castiglion Fiorentino

Castiglion Fiorentino (ZIP code 52043) is 17,7 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Castiglion Fiorentino has a population of 12.032 inhabitants (Castiglionesi) and a surface of 113,19 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 106,30 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 342 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza del Municipio 12, phone ++39 0575 - 65641, fax ++39 0575 - 680103: the E-Mail address is info@comune.castiglionfiorentino.ar.it.

Population: The municipality of Castiglion Fiorentino had a popolation of 11.410 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 12.032 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 5,45% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 4.254 families with an average of 2,83 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 236 and 827 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 591 metres.

Work and workers:There are 341 industrial firms employing 1.931 people that are the 40,35% of the total of the workers. There are 289 service firms employing 779 people that are the 16,28% of the total of the workers. There are also 286 firms employing 1.298 people that are the 27,12% of the total of the workers. There are also 27 administrative offices emplying 778 workers that are the 16,26% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 4.786 workers, that are the 39,78% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Castiglion Fiorentino rises along the slopes of a hill placed in the Valdichiana area.

The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and on the cattle breeding. The industrial activity is also flourishing by working numerous pasta factories, sugar-houses and the manufacture of sausages. The artisan manufacture of ceramics is particularly interesting, both culturally and economically.

The first human presences in the territory of Castiglion Fiorentino go back to the Prehistorical Age but the real consolidation of the residential settlements occurred on the Etruscan Age.

During the successive Roman domination started for Castiglion Fiorentino a phase of economic decline caused by spreading the marshy lands. This caused the moving of the population to the close hilly areas.

Photo © Municipality of Castiglion Fiorentino A church of Castiglion Fiorentino

The place name comes from the compound name of "Castiglione", that is quoted in the official documents since the X-th century, and of the specification "Fiorentino" that was added to the name in 1324, when the locality passed to the city of Florence.

During the X-th cemtury Castiglione was a feudal property of the Marquis of the Saint Mary Mountain and in the XI-th century it was under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Arezzo.

In 1289 the city of Arezzo was defeated by the Florence one in the famous battle of Campaldino and thus Castiglion Fiorentino became a domain of the Florentine Republic.

Later the cities of Arezzo and Siena allied against Florence and conquered again the village of Castiglion Fiorentino that was restored and well fortified by the Bishop Guido Tarlati, Lord of Arezzo.

By dieing Guido Tarlati in 1336 the village passed shortly to the control of Florence up to 1344 when it was conquered by the city of Perugia. In 1369 the population rebeled against Perugia.

During the XV-th century Castiglione experienced a period of economic decline caused by spreading the marshy phenomenon that leaded to grave epidemics of plague.

At the beginning of the XVI-th century the territory of Castiglione was the theatre of a struggle between the two cities of Florence and Siena that ended with the Siena's conquest of Castiglione. The town was under the jurisdiction of Pietro Strozzi until 1554.

After the Siena's domination succeeded to the power the Grand Dukes of Medici, whose domination lasted up to 1765, when the Lorena's Dukes came to the power.

Photo © Municipality of Castiglion Fiorentino A square of Castiglion Fiorentino

During the Lorena's domination Castiglione experienced a great economic development thanks to the Dukes' policy aiming to the reclaim of the marshy areas and that promoted both the population and economic increase.

From 1800 to 1814 Castiglion Fiorentino subdued the French occupation leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte and only after 1814 the Lorena's Dukes could continue their work for the restoring of the whole Valdichiana.

Few years later Castiglion Fiorentino entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, whose domination lasted until 1861, when Castiglion Fiorentino was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Castiglion Fiorentino we point out here the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church), the Chiesa di Sant'Angelo (Saint Angel Church), the Collegiata di San Guiliano (Saint Giuliano's Collegiate Church), the Logge del Vasari (Vasari's Galleries) and the Cassero (Caisson).

Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Castiglion Fiorentino we point out here the traditional "Palio dei Rioni" (Quarters Race) held on the third Sunday of June. The celebration involves all the quarters of the town in a horse race in Medieval costumes.