|Back to the province of Arezzo
Photo © Municipality of Cavriglia
Cavriglia (ZIP code 52022) is 44,9 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Cavriglia has a population of 7.808 inhabitants (Cavrigliesi) and a surface of 60,86 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 128,29 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 308 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Viale Principe di Piemonte 9, phone ++39 055 - 9669748, fax ++39 055 - 966469: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Cavriglia had a popolation of 6.740 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 7.808 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 15,85% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.053 families with an average of 2,56 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 132 and 792 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 660 metres.
Work and workers:There are 205 industrial firms employing 1.221 people that are the 62,42% of the total of the workers. There are 88 service firms employing 178 people that are the 9,10% of the total of the workers. There are also 117 firms employing 390 people that are the 19,94% of the total of the workers. There are also 41 administrative offices emplying 167 workers that are the 8,54% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.956 workers, that are the 25,05% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Photo © Wikipedia
Cavriglia extends along the slopes of the mountains of the Chianti in the high area of the Valdarno.
The local economy is mainly based on the activity of the mechanical industries producing building equipments, on the brick furnaces and furniture producing. Remarkable is also the agricultural production of oil, cereals, maize, tomatoes and wine.
The place name comes from the Latin proper name "Cabrilius". It is quoted for the first time in 1019 as "Caprilia" with probable reference to the savage goats once very diffused in the territory of Cavriglia.
The first settlements in the area of Cavriglia go back to the Roman Age, when the town was crossed by an ancient road joining the valley of the Arno and Greve rivers.
The real consolidation of the village occurred around the X-th century, when Cavriglia was under the Lordship of the Firifoldi-Ricasoli, who mantained for a long the control of the village.
At that time the first Parish was erected and around it the community of Cavriglia formed.
During the XII-th century the village became an important stronghold of the Ghibellines' faction (Empire's supporter) and thus Cavriglia subdued the consequences of the bloody struggles between the cities supporting the Ghibellines' faction or the Guelphs' one (Papacy's supporter).
Those conflicts ended in 1266 owing to the Guelphs' victory.
In the next centuries several lordships took turns to the government of Cavriglia, like the Umbertini's lordiship, the Pazzi's one and the Franzesi's one.
Photo © Wikipedia
At that time the inhabitants carried out the cultivation of prime necessities like cereals, legumes and mulberries. They also produced wine and oil and went hunting.
During the XVI-th century Cavriglia was added to the community of Figline Valdarno, thus becoming a Florentine possession.
In 1774 the town was elevated to the rank of autonomous community and entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom up to the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Cavriglia we point out here the Antica Pieve (Ancient Parish), the Pieve di San Pancrazio (Saint Pancrazio Parish), the Convento di Montecarlo (Convent of Montecarlo), from whose the Saint Francis Church is part and the Natural Park of Cavriglia.
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Cavriglia we remind here the traditional "Snail Festival" held yearly on April 21th. During the celebration it is possible to taste typical courses of Cavriglia and also attend the musical shows organized for the festival.