|Back to the province of Arezzo
Chiusi della Verna
Chiusi della Verna (ZIP code 52010) is 41,7 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Chiusi della Verna has a population of 2.225 inhabitants (Chiusini) and a surface of 102,06 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 21,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 960 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Viale San Francesco 42, phone ++39 0575 - 599611, fax ++39 0575 - 599139: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Chiusi della Verna had a popolation of 2.223 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.225 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,09% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 870 families with an average of 2,56 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 312 and 1.291 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 979 metres.
Work and workers:There are 93 industrial firms employing 835 people that are the 69,87% of the total of the workers. There are 45 service firms employing 89 people that are the 7,45% of the total of the workers. There are also 42 firms employing 124 people that are the 10,38% of the total of the workers. There are also 23 administrative offices emplying 147 workers that are the 12,30% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.195 workers, that are the 53,71% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Chiusi della Verna rises on the Penna mount, in the Casentino area.
The local economy is mainly based on agricultural activities and on tourism, thanks both to the beauty of the landscapes and of the places and to the presence of numerous and qualified fine hotels.
The place name comes from the compound of "Chiusi", coming this latter from the Latin "clusa" with the meaning of "narrow passage", and of "Verna", with reference to the close "La Verna" mount.
The first residential settlements in the territory of Chiusi della Verna go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to those times.
During the Early Middle Ages the first houses were built in Chiusi della Verna and the community started to develop some activities like the sheep-farming and the exploiting of the wooden resources. At that time the locality was under the jurisdiction of the Count Goffredo of Ildebrando Cattani.
During the Middle Ages Chiusi della Verna got a great importance by being close to the important road called "Via Romea", joining the city of Arezzo with the Romagna region.
In 1213 the Cattani's family gave to Saint Francis from Assisi the "La Verna" mount, where in 1224 the Saint received the Holy Stigmata.
At that time Chiusi della Verna was a very attended place by pilgrims who, coming from the North Europe, went to Rome where in 1300 the first Jubilee took place.
At the same time started the building of the Saint Mary Magdalene Chapel on the place where once rose the hut, where Saint Francis from Assisi lived for a long. The chapel is the original building of the actual Verna Sanctuary and, according to the tradition, Jesus appeared to the Saint inside the chapel.
During the XV-th century Chiusi della Verna subdued numerous hostile attacks, first by the troops of the Milan Dukedom leaded by Niccolò Piccinino and then by the troops leaded by Bartolomeo d'Alviano who, being allied for the occasion with the Medici's Grand Dukes, conquered the village and put it under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Florence.
From then Chiusi della Verna was under the influence of Florence, and was governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then by the Lorena's Dukes, who came to the power at the beginning of the XVIII-th century.
In 1776 Chiusi della Verna was united to thirteen close villages by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena and only after the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia, the village reached its municipal autonomy.
Among the most important monuments to see in Chiusi della Vernaa we point out here the Santuario della Verna (Verna Sanctuary), whose building consists of the Chiesa Maggiore (Main Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli (Saint Mary of the Angels Church), the Corridoio delle Stimmate (Holy Stigmata's Corridor), the Cappella delle Stimmate (Holy Stigmata's Chapel) and the Chiostro di Santa Chiara (Saint Chiara Convent).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Chiusi della Verna we remind the traditional "Saint Francis' Procession" held yearly on September 4th in honour of the Patron Saint and consisting of a religious mass followed by a procession to the Holy Stigmata's Chapel, where Saint Francis received the holy stigmata.