Back to the province of Arezzo

Foiano della Chiana

Photo © Wikypedia Foiano della Chiana

Foiano della Chiana (ZIP code 52045) is 38,1 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Foiano della Chiana has a population of 8.412 inhabitants (Foianesi) and a surface of 40,82 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 206,08 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 318 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Cavour 1, phone ++39 0575 - 6431, fax ++39 0575 - 643205: the E-Mail address is foiano@comune.foiano.ar.it.

Population: The municipality of Foiano della Chiana had a popolation of 7.738 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.412 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 8,71% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 3.019 families with an average of 2,79 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 242 and 321 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 79 metres.

Photo © Luzia Piazza di Fivizzano

Work and workers:There are 241 industrial firms employing 1.414 people that are the 51,89% of the total of the workers. There are 178 service firms employing 381 people that are the 13,98% of the total of the workers. There are also 237 firms employing 659 people that are the 24,18% of the total of the workers. There are also 67 administrative offices emplying 271 workers that are the 9,94% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 2.725 workers, that are the 32,39% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Foiano della Chiana rises on a hill placed in the Valdichiana.

The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and on the activity of numerous food making, furniture and tobacco producing industries.

The place name comes from the Latin proper name of person "Furius", to which, in 1862, the specification "Chiana" was added, with reference to the name of the close Chianti river.

The first settlements in the territory of Foiano della Chiana go back to the Etruscan Age, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to that time.

Photo © Wikypedia Chiesa San Francesco

The real consolidation of the village occurred during the XI-th century under the direct influence of the city of Siena, whose domination lasted up to the end of the XII-th century.

During the XIII-th century the Bishops of the city of Arezzo imposed their influence to the village of Foiano della Chiana, having previously subdued to their jurisdiction other close villages.

The Bishopric of Arezzo held the control of Foiano della Chiana until 1336, when the powerful Republic of Florence conquered the village.

During the long Florentine domination the village of Foiano della Chiana was fully restored and fortified by building some towers along the previously walls built so to face the recurrent hostile attacks.

During the XV-th century Foiano della Chiana subdued the consequences of the acute quarrels existing between the two cities of Florence and Arezzo, wanting this latter to gain its ancient domain again.

The conflicts ended on 1436 with the annexing of Foiano della Chiana to the domains of Florence, having this latter previously conquered the close town of Pozzo that was unfied to the village of Foiano della Chiana.

Photo © Wikypedia Tempio di San Stefano della Vittoria

From then started the domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes, whose action aimed to reclaim the territory starting from 1523. The reclamation was continued by the Lorena's Dukes, who at the beginning of the XVIII-th century came to the power. Those works promoted the economic and population increase of the village.

At the beginning of the XIX-th century Foiano della Chiana subdued the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the village to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

Entered again the orbit of the Grand Dukedom, Foiano della Chiana remained until 1861, when it was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Foiano della Chiana we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Domenico e Michele Arcangelo (Saints Domenico and Michael Archangel Church), the Chiesa di San Martino (Saint Martin Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Fraternità (Saint Mary of the Fraternity Church), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace) and the Palazzo Granducale (Grand Ducal Palace).

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Foiano della Chiana we remind here the traditional "Carnival of Foiano della Chiana" held yearly on the first weekend of June. The carnival feast taking place in Foiano della Chiana is one of the most ancient feast of the world, evoking the famous historical "Battle of Scannagallo" by holding a parade of allegorical carts.