Back to the province of Arezzo

Marciano della Chiana

Photo © Municipality of Marciano della Chiana Marciano della Chiana

Marciano della Chiana (ZIP code 52047) is 25,2 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Marciano della Chiana has a population of 2.757 inhabitants (Marcianesi) and a surface of 23,71 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 116,28 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 320 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Fanfulla 4, phone ++39 0575 - 845024, fax ++39 0575 - 845432: the E-Mail address is biatribu@ats.it.

Population: The municipality of Marciano della Chiana had a popolation of 2.401 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.757 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 14,83% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 939 families with an average of 2,94 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 236 and 320 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 84 metres.

Work and workers:There are 125 industrial firms employing 809 people that are the 63,90% of the total of the workers. There are 57 service firms employing 116 people that are the 9,16% of the total of the workers. There are also 94 firms employing 260 people that are the 20,54% of the total of the workers. There are also 14 administrative offices emplying 81 workers that are the 6,40% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.266 workers, that are the 45,92% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Marciano della Chiana rises on a hill in the valley of the Chiani river.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables, fruits, vine grapes and olives.

Photo © Municipality of Marciano della Chiana the church of Santo Stefano Andrea

The place name comes from the compound of "Marciano", coming this latter from the Latin proper name of person "Marcius", and of "Chiana", with reference to the valley of the Chiani river, in which the town rises.

The first settlements in the territory of Marciano della Chiana go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light, dating back to that time and saves in the Archaeological Museum of Arezzo.

After the collapse of the Roman Empire, the territory was colonized first by the Gothics and then by the Longbards. Nevertheless the birth and the consolidation of the actual village started during the Early Middle Ages.

During the XI-th century the village of Marciano della Chiana belonged to the Saint Quirico at the Roses Abbey, being this latter under the direct influence of the Bishopric of Arezzo.

During the next century Marciano della Chiana was subdued to the hegemony of the city of Arezzo and of its Bishopric, getting the village its municipal autonomy nevertheless. Arezzo started the fortification of the village by building an imposing ring of walls equipped with a fortress and some sighting towers.

The domination of Arezzo lasted along the two next centuries, leaving its traces in the numerous religious buildings that are still visible today.

At the end of the XIV-th century the village was conquered by the Republic of Siena but after a short period this latter had to give its all domains to the Republic of Florence.

Entered the orbit of the Republic of Florence, in 1417 the village was added to the community of Foiano, thus losing its autonomy.

During the first years of Florentine domination, Marciano della Chiana subdued numerous sieges operated by the troops of the Republic of Siena, wanting this latter to reconquer its ancient domain. In 1554 the tw republics struggled in the famous Battle of Marciano that marked the victory of Florence.

Photo © Municipality of Marciano della Chiana Fanfulla Square

Since 1555 Marciano della Chiana entered officially the domains of Florence, being this latter governed by the Medici's Grand Dukes. This latter were succeeded by the Lorena's Dukes, who dominated almost uninterruptedly up to the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Marciano della Chiana we point out here the Parrocchiale dei Santi Andrea e Stefano (Saints Andrew and Stephen Parish), the Tempio di Santa Vittoria (Saint Victoria Temple) and the Castello di Marciano (Castle of Marciano).

Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Marciano della Chiana we remind the "Feast in honour of the Holiest Crucifix" held on the week after the August 15th and during which some religious celebrations, sport competitions and cultural shows take place.