|Back to the province of Arezzo
Poppi (ZIP code 52014) is 39 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Poppi has a population of 5.871 inhabitants (Poppesi) and a surface of 97,04 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 60,50 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 437 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Cavour 11, phone ++39 0575 - 50221, fax ++39 0575 - 502222: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Poppi had a popolation of 5.601 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 5.871 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 4,82% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.324 families with an average of 2,53 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 330 and 1.449 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.119 metres.
Work and workers:There are 167 industrial firms employing 855 people that are the 39,36% of the total of the workers. There are 147 service firms employing 332 people that are the 15,29% of the total of the workers. There are also 160 firms employing 445 people that are the 20,49% of the total of the workers. There are also 76 administrative offices emplying 540 workers that are the 24,86% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.172 workers, that are the 37,00% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Poppi rises on a hill dominating the valley of the Arno river, along the so called Casentino area.
The local economy is mainly based on the industrial activities in the following fields: food, textile, wood and packaging industries. Remarkable are also the agricultural activities and the breeding.
The first settlements in the area of Poppi go back to the Roman Age. Some historical documents testify the presence of a Roman settlement once called "Pagus Pupius" that was placed in a strategic position dominating the "Via Flaminia".
The place name probably comes from the proper name of person "Pupius" that was gave to the town by the Romans.
The real consolidation of the residential settlement occurred on the XII-th century, when the Guidi’s Counts went to Poppi and established there their residence. During the Guidi’s Lordship the castle of Poppi was built and the village was fortified by building a ring of walls.
In 1266 by dieing the Count Manfredi, the Guidi, who belonged to the Ghibelline faction (Empire’s supporters) had to subdue to the opposite faction of the Guelphs (Papacy’s supporters) of the powerful city of Florence.
In 1289 the territory of Poppi was the scene of a violent struggle between the two influential cities of Florence and Arezzo that caused numerous damages and the destruction of the castle of Poppi. The battle, known with the name of "Battaglia di Campaldino" (Campaldino Battle) was won by the Florentine Republic and in 1440 Florence got the official possession of the village of Poppi.
During the Florentine domination the village of Poppi became a vicarship, whose jurisdiction extended to the close territories so that the town got a great importance in the whole Casentino area.
Since the end of the XV-th century started an economy mainly based on the cattle breeding, promoted also by the fertility of the lands where it was possible to cultivate the necessary feeds for the cattle nourishment.
During the XVIII-th century the population carried out an artisan manufacture of wool and silk and an artistic craftsmanship by producing straw hats and tools. At the beginning of the XIX-th century the economy of Poppi was a well developed one with a large production of agricultural and woodland products.
In 1861 Poppi was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Poppi we point out here the Oratorio della Madonnad del Morbo (Our Lady of Disease Oratory), the Prepositura di San Marco (Saint Marco Provostship), the Abbazia di San Fedele (San Fedele Abbey), the Monastero delle Agostiniane (Augustinian Nuns’ Convent) and the Counts Guidi’s Palace (Castle of Poppi).
Among famous people who were born on Poppi we remind here the famous painter Francesco Morandini called "the Poppi" (1544-1597).
Among numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Poppi we point out here the traditional "Mushroom Festival" held on August holiday. During the festival it is possible to taste typical courses of Poppi.