|Back to the province of Firenze
Certaldo (ZIP code 50052) is 49 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Certaldo has a population of 15.642 inhabitants (Certaldesi) and a surface of 75,24 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 207,89 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 67 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Boccaccio 13, phone ++39 0571 - 6611, fax ++39 0571 - 661201: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Certaldo had a popolation of 15.942 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 15.642 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,88% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 5.870 families with an average of 2,66 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 52 and 407 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 355 metres.
Work and workers:There are 535 industrial firms employing 2.506 people that are the 51,06% of the total of the workers. There are 335 service firms employing 720 people that are the 14,67% of the total of the workers. There are also 367 firms employing 1.201 people that are the 24,47% of the total of the workers. There are also 64 administrative offices emplying 481 workers that are the 9,80% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 4.908 workers, that are the 31,38% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Certaldo rises in the very heart of the valley of Elsa, nearby the Chianti hills.
The economy of the town is mainly based on vine and wheat productions and also on shoe, food, engeneering, furniture and dockyard industries.
The archaeological finds discovered in the area of Certaldo testify the ancient presence of a settlement, dating back to the Etruscan Age, in the higher part of Certaldo and the development of a second settlement along a flat area during the Roman Age.
The place name was quoted for the first time in an official act dating back to 1164 and it is supposed that it comes from a compound name by the Latin prefix "cert" and by a German place name.
In the half of XII-th Certaldo was given by Federico Barbarossa to the Alberti's family, who built several fortified castles that were later destroyed by the Florentines who, once captured the Count Alberto, compelled him to demolish the urban fortifications.
In 1293 Certaldo entered the Florentine domain and under the Florentine domination it reached a great importance as political and administrative centre in the surrounding territory of the valleys of Pesa, Elsa and Arno.
In 1415 Certaldo became seat of vicarship that comprised the Podestà's offices of the close villages. Few years later Certaldo entered the Medici's Grand Dukedom. The Grand Dukes built several noble buildings and started the first reclamation of the territory thus promoting the development of the agriculture.
In 1479 Certaldo was besieged by the army of the King of Naples, allowed with the Papacy and the city of Siena. The struggle lasted for a long, causing severe damages to Certaldo and it ended around 1555 with the victory of Florence and the consequent subduing of Siena and Certaldo to the Florentine Republic.
The Medici's domination lasted up to the coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power, occurred on 1737. During the Lorena's domination Certaldo lost some Podestà's seats and consequently the importance that it had during the Medici's Age. In 1784 Certaldo was joined to Castelfiorentino and lost its autonomy.
In 1861 Certaldo was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Certaldo we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Jacopo e Filippo (Saint Jacopo and Filippo Church), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace), the Palazzo Stiozzi (Stiozzi Palace), the casa del Boccaccio (Boccaccio's house) and the Museo d'Arte Sacra (Museum of Holy Art).
Among famous people who were born in Certaldo we remind here the famous poet Giovanni Boccaccio (1313-1375), the author of the "Decameron".
Among the several celebrations taking place periodically in Certaldo we point out the traditional "Fish Festival" held yearly from May to the half of June on Fridays, Saturdays and Sudays. The inhabitants usually set some stands where it is possible to taste some typical fishing courses like the "caciucco alla livornese" (sort of fish soup).