Back to the province of Firenze

Fiesole

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Fiesole

Fiesole (ZIP code 50014) is 9,2 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Fiesole has a population of 14.142 inhabitants (Fiesolani) and a surface of 42,11 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 335,83 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 295 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Mino 24/26, phone ++39 055 - 59611, fax ++39 055 - 59045: the E-Mail address is urp@comune.fiesole.fi.it.

Population: The municipality of Fiesole had a popolation of 15.096 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 14.142 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -6,32% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 5.448 families with an average of 2,60 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 57 and 702 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 645 metres.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa di Santi Bartolo e Romolo

Work and workers:There are 238 industrial firms employing 880 people that are the 27,29% of the total of the workers. There are 251 service firms employing 770 people that are the 23,88% of the total of the workers. There are also 320 firms employing 1.148 people that are the 35,60% of the total of the workers. There are also 96 administrative offices emplying 427 workers that are the 13,24% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 3.225 workers, that are the 22,80% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Fiesole rises on a hill dominating the dell of Florence, above the valleys of Arno and Mugnone rivers.

The town is an important agricultural and industrial centre. Local economy is based on tourism, thanks to the beauty of the local hills covered by olives, pine-woods and cypresses, and to noumerous villas and gardens standing on the hills since 1700 and to the splendid sight on Florence.

The name of the town comes from the Latin word "Faesulae", name imposed by Roman people.

Nevertheless the settlement has an Etruscan origin: Fiesole was one of the main cities of Etruria until 90 B.C., when it became a Roman colony.

Under the Roman domination started a period of splendor: there were built forums, temples, theatres and termal baths.

Fiesole became administrative and economic centre of the region until Barbaric invasions in 405 A.C. caused the beginning of a decadent period: the town lost its importance for Florence favour.

According to historical data, Florence conquered Fiesole in 1125. Fiesole, as a part of the Florentine territory, lived the Florentine events: first, the internal conflicts between Guelphs, Papacy's supporters, and Ghibellines, Empire's supporters: these conflicts stopped only when Medici's family went to power.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Chiesa San Martino a Maiano

Since 1399 Fiesole started enjoying a spread autonomous prosperity inducing Florence to build a ring of walls in order to defend the town by hostile invasions.

Since the first half of 1400, coming to power the Medici Family, Fiesole was enriched with important and prestigious architectonic structure.

The Medici Family, regarding Fiesole as a particularly suggestive resort for the beauty of scaneries and panoramas, built many villas and gardens.

Between 1700 and 1800 Fiesole was the favourite destination for foreign visitors and artists passing through Florence.

In 1861 Fiesole was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Fiesole we point out here the Chiesa di San Domenico (Saint Domenico Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria Primerana (Saint Maria Primerana Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Chiesa di Sant'Alessandro (Saint Alessandro Church), the Duomo (Cathedral), the Palazzo vescovile (Bishopric Palace), the Teatro Romano (Roman Theatre) and the Museo Archeologico (Archaeologic Museum).