|Back to the province of Firenze
Fucecchio (ZIP code 50054) is 44,3 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Fucecchio has a population of 21.111 inhabitants (Fucecchiesi) and a surface of 65,14 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 324,09 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 25 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via La Marmora 34, phone ++39 0571 - 2681, fax ++39 0571 - 268246: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Fucecchio had a popolation of 20.540 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 21.111 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 2,78% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 7.625 families with an average of 2,77 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 12 and 95 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 83 metres.
Work and workers:There are 767 industrial firms employing 4.493 people that are the 52,10% of the total of the workers. There are 529 service firms employing 1.326 people that are the 15,38% of the total of the workers. There are also 538 firms employing 1.633 people that are the 18,94% of the total of the workers. There are also 141 administrative offices emplying 1.172 workers that are the 13,59% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 8.624 workers, that are the 40,85% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Fucecchio extends in the territory included between the Albano mountain and the Cerbaie hills.
The economy of the town is mainly based on tourism thanks to the richness of vegetation and fauna of the area and the beauty of its landscapes. Today the main part of the territory of Fucecchio is a protected natural reserve.
The place name was quoted for the first time in 1027 as a derived word from the Latin "ficus", with the referring to the presence of fig-trees in the territory.
The origin and history of Fucecchio are connected to the events involving the Cadolingi Counts of Pistoia, who chose Fucecchio as the ideal place where to live and grow their autonomous power thanks also to its strategic position. Fucecchio was in the middle of the junction of the main trading roads of the region, near the most important cities of Florence, Pisa, Lucca and Pistoia. The Cadolingi counts erected a castle, called Castle of Salamarzana, and a well fortified ring of walls.
During XII-th century Fucecchio experienced a period of economic and population increase and the community grew and expanded over the Castle of Salamarzana, making new settlements along the banks of the Arno river.
At the end of the thirteenth century the urban structure was taken shape and it was contained within a new ring of walls.
At the beginning of the fourteenth-century Fucecchio was subdued by the powerful city of Florence that, in 1330, included the town and the close territories in its own domains.
In the half of the fourteenth-century Fucecchio was striken by a plague that involved the whole Europe. Population was decreased and the survivors left Fucecchio when started the conflicts between the cities of Florence and Pisa.
In the first years of the fifteenth century Fucecchio was almost a ghost-town thing that caused the spreading of the marshy phenomenon.
Only during the sixteenth-century the town of Fucecchio started to populate again and the countrysides were restored and cultivated, thus beginning an economic and population increase that got its peack during the seventeenth century.
Between XVI and XVII centuries Fucecchio increased its trading activities: the ancient urban structure was restored and were also built several noble and religious buildings. That supported a greater economic and population increase that got its greatest flourishment during the Dukedom of the Lorena family.
By the second half of the eighteenth-century Leopoldo of Lorena started a series of reforming processes by restoring the rural areas and privatizing them. The countryside was bought by several noble families as Medici family, causing the dissatisfaction of population who was exploiting the resources from those rural areas.
The reforming process started after 1780 by Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena also included the restoring of the civil and religious buildings and the rebuilding of the hospital of Saint Peter Igneo.
Under the Lorena's domination the inhabitants of Fucecchio developed new artisan activities regarding the weaving and the manufacture of leather, and also started a growing trading activity along the Arno river.
By building of the first railway that supported the riverway the trades grew a lot and it was necessary to built the first industries in order to satisfy the growing request for export goods.
In 1861 Fucecchio was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Fucecchio we point out here the Chiesa di San Salvatore (Saint Salvatore Church), the Collegiata di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Collegiate Church), the Santuario della Madonna delle Vedute (Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Premonitions), the Chiesa and the Convento della Vergine (Our Lady's Church and Convent), the Chiesa della Vergine della Ferruzza (Our Lady of the Ferruzza Church), the Palazzo Montanelli della Volta (Montanelli Palace of the Vault), the Palazzo Nelli (Nelli Palace) and the Palazzo Montanelli-Ducci (Montanelli-Ducci Palace).
Among famous people who were born in Fucecchio we remind here the famous journalist and writer Indro Montanelli (1909-2001).
Among the several celebrations taking place periodically in Fucecchio, we point out the Horserace of the Districts occurres yearly on June the second Sunday. It consists of two main moments: a historical procession taking place in the morning with a people parade in Medieval costumes and a horse race in the afternoon.