|Back to the province of Firenze
Impruneta (ZIP code 50023) is 15,8 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Impruneta has a population of 14.610 inhabitants (Imprunetini) and a surface of 48,77 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 299,57 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 275 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Buondelmonti 41, phone ++39 055 - 203641, fax ++39 055 - 2036438: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Impruneta had a popolation of 15.028 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 14.610 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -2,78% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 5.616 families with an average of 2,60 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 60 and 350 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 290 metres.
Work and workers:There are 341 industrial firms employing 1.367 people that are the 37,61% of the total of the workers. There are 339 service firms employing 812 people that are the 22,34% of the total of the workers. There are also 273 firms employing 1.137 people that are the 31,28% of the total of the workers. There are also 56 administrative offices emplying 319 workers that are the 8,78% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.635 workers, that are the 24,88% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Impruneta rises between the valleys of the Greve and Ema torrents.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals and wine. There are also numerous engineering and plastic material industries. Very remarkable is the artisan manufacture of the earthenwares.
The place name comes from the Latin word "pinus" that literally means "pine-wood".
The first settlements in the area of Impruneta go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, when the village was important for the manufacture of potter's clay.
The real consolidation of the village occurred during the Middle Ages, when Impruneta was under the jurisdiction of the Buondelmonti's family. The community of Impruneta gathered around the previously built Saint Mary Church.
From the XII-th century to the XIII-th century the city of Florence, started its territorial expansion, destroyed the close fortifications, among them those ones of Impruneta, and conquered the surrounding territory.
Since the XIV-th century started the manufacture of the potter's clay for the production of earthenwares like decorative objects and tools. Impruneta became the home of the "Florentine earthenware" and many artists, like the Della Robbia's ones, attended the village.
During the XV-th century the village of Impruneta was annexed to the domains of the Republic of Florence, becoming first the chief town of a legacy and then a Podestà's seat of a large territory.
In 1536 Alessandro de' Medici divided the Podestà's seat of Impruneta in four quarters named: San Pietro a Monticelli, Santa Margherita a Montici, Sant'Alessandro a Giogoli and Santa Maria all'Impruneta.
The period of the Medici's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century when, by dieing the last Medici's descendant, the Lorena's Dukes came to the power.
Apart from operating a great work for the reclamation of the territory, the Lorena's Dukes stimulated the manufacture of the potter's clay, that still today are world-wide known.
In 1722 the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena started some economic policies promoting the trade of the earthenware produced in Impruneta that, at the beginning of the XIX-th century, started to be industrially processed in some factories.
In 1861 Impruneta was annexed to the Reign of Italy bu the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Impruneta we point out here the Basilica-Santuario di Santa Maria (Saint Mary Basilica-Sanctuary), the Chiesa di San Lorenzo a Colline (Saint Lorenz Church in Colline), the Chiesa di San Miniato a Quintale (Saint Miniato Church in Quintale), the Chiesa di San Lorenzo alle Rose (Saint Lorenz Church at the Roses), the Villa Il Prato (Green Villa), the Villa Carrega (Carrega Villa) and the Villa Citernesi (Citernesi Villa).
Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Impruneta we remind here the traditional "Grape Festival" yearly held on the last Sunday of September. On the occasion the four quarters of the town take part to a competition consisting in building allegorical carts just using grapes. During the festival many sideshows take place in order to enrich the feast.