|Back to the province of Firenze
Londa (ZIP code 50060) is 38,4 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Londa has a population of 1.670 inhabitants (Londesi) and a surface of 59,43 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 28,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 226 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Umberto I N? 9, phone ++39 055 - 8351518, fax ++39 055 - 8351904: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Londa had a popolation of 1.216 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.670 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 37,34% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 678 families with an average of 2,46 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 182 and 1.450 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.268 metres.
Work and workers:There are 32 industrial firms employing 153 people that are the 38,44% of the total of the workers. There are 38 service firms employing 88 people that are the 22,11% of the total of the workers. There are also 35 firms employing 117 people that are the 29,40% of the total of the workers. There are also 16 administrative offices emplying 40 workers that are the 10,05% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 398 workers, that are the 23,83% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Londa rises at the confluence of the Rincine torrent and the Moscia torrent, along the valley of the Sieve river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, wine, fodders and on the cattle breeding.
The place name comes from the Latin word "unda" that literally means "wave", with reference to the waters of the close torrent.
The first settlements in the area of Londa go back to the Etruscan Age, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light like the so called "Etruscans' Porch".
During the II-th century B. C. the Romans settled down the territory of Londa, through which the army of Annibale, coming from the city of Cartagine, passed to go to Rome.
At the beginning of the XI-th century the territory entered the properties of the Guidi's Counts, who made a castle built. They were the founders of the village.
At that time Londa was particularly interesting for its strategic position and its richness. In 1375 the village was bought by the Florentines, being this latter under the jurisdiction of the Medici's Grand Dukes.
From then the village started to develop so to reach a great economic importance, being among those few villages that escaped from the wars existing at that time among the powerful cities of Florence, Siena and Pisa.
During the XVI-th century Londa became a Podestà's seat of the Florentine countryside, under the direct influence of the Vicarship of the close town of Pontassieve.
In 1645 the Medici's Grand Dukes gave Londa as feud to the Guadagni's family with the title of "Marquisate of Saint Leonino". In 1776 this latter was abolished to become a free common, thanks to the reform made by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena.
A Grand Ducal act authorized the inhabitants of Londa to take the building materials from the ancient castle in order to build their own houses.
The period of the Lorena's domination lasted up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Londa we point out here the Prepositura della Santissima Concezione (Provostship of the Holiest Conception), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace), the Palazzo dei Marchesi Dufour-Berte (Dufour-Berte Marquises' Palace).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Londa we remind here the traditional "September Feast" held yearly on the second weekend of September nearby a close little lake from where, for the occasion, a hot-air balloon is launched. During the celebration takes place a cooking competition involving all the different quarters of the town.