|Back to the province of Firenze
Pontassieve (ZIP code 50065) is 19,6 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Pontassieve has a population of 20.563 inhabitants (Pontassievesi) and a surface of 114,43 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 179,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 108 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Tanzini 30, phone ++39 055 - 83601, fax ++39 055 - 8360285: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Pontassieve had a popolation of 20.439 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 20.563 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,61% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 8.163 families with an average of 2,52 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 68 and 992 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 924 metres.
Work and workers:There are 515 industrial firms employing 2.680 people that are the 45,43% of the total of the workers. There are 391 service firms employing 996 people that are the 16,88% of the total of the workers. There are also 391 firms employing 1.518 people that are the 25,73% of the total of the workers. There are also 97 administrative offices emplying 705 workers that are the 11,95% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 5.899 workers, that are the 28,69% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Pontassieve rises along the hilly area placed between the Sieve and the Arno valleys.
The economy of the town is based on the industrial activities in the fields of food, mechanic and electronic industries, and on the manufacture of glass and pottery. Flourishing is also the artisan manufacture of leathers and remarkable are the productions of the "Vino Chianti Putto" and of a very valuable oil.
The place name refers to an ancient bridge that was built on the Sieve river.
The history of Pontassieve has been documented since XI-th century, when the village was under the jurisdiction of the noblemen of Quona, who sold a part of their feudal domains to the Florentine bishopric in 1207.
The village of Pontassieve formed and consolidated under the Florentine domination. In 1375 Florentine Republic fortified the village by building a ring of walls and a castle.
First the town took the name of "Castel Sant’Angelo" (Saint Angel Castle) and then it took its actual name referring to the importance of the bridge on the river, that was the main way joining the Republic of Florence to the territories of the Mugello, Casentino and the city of Arezzo.
The village formed nearby the bridge and the population carried out just the cultivation of foods to supply itself because Pontassieve was considered by the Florentines just a military stronghold of the Republic, so that Florence did not promoted its economic growing.
At the end of the XVIII-th century the coming of the Lorena’s Dukes to the power gave a great impulse to the town economy. Thanks to the Ducal works for the reclamation of the territory and the opening of two new roads that joined Pontassieve to the Casentino and the Emilia Romagna, Pontassieve had a remarkable economic growing.
Under the Lorena’s domination Pontassieve reached a great importance so that the town was elevated to the rank of Vicarship’s Town Hall comprising part of the territories belonging to the Arno and Sieve valleys.
In 1859 the building of a railway that joined Florence to Rome gave an additional impulse to the economic growing.
In 1861 Pontassieve was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Pontassieve we point out here the Parrocchiale di San Michele (Saint Michael Parish), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church), the Pieve Pitiana (Pitiana Parish), the Cappella della Misericordia (Chapel of the Mercy), the Palazzo Sansoni Trombetta (Sansoni Trombetta Palace), the Torre dell’Orologio (Tower of the Watch), the Ponte Mediceo (Medici’s Bridge), the Porta Filicaia (Filicaia Gate), the Porta Fiorentina (Florentine Gate) and the Area Protetta Poggio Ripaghera Santa Brigida (Poggio Ripaghera Santa Brigida Protected Area).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Pontassieve we remind here the traditional "Toscanello d'oro" held yearly on May. The celebration consists of a show-market where it is possible to taste and buy valuable local wines and typical courses of Pontassieve.