|Back to the province of Firenze
Vaglia (ZIP code 50030) is 18,5 kilometers far from Firenze, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Vaglia has a population of 4.854 inhabitants (Vagliesi) and a surface of 56,91 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 85,29 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 290 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Bolognese 1126, phone ++39 055 - 500241, fax ++39 055 - 407545: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Vaglia had a popolation of 4.393 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.854 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 10,49% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.972 families with an average of 2,46 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 200 and 934 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 734 metres.
Work and workers:There are 55 industrial firms employing 296 people that are the 33,26% of the total of the workers. There are 80 service firms employing 139 people that are the 15,62% of the total of the workers. There are also 134 firms employing 264 people that are the 29,66% of the total of the workers. There are also 31 administrative offices emplying 191 workers that are the 21,46% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 890 workers, that are the 18,34% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Vaglia rises in the Mugello area, along the valley of the Carza torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables, fruits, on the activity of numerous industries working for the production of clothes and also on tourism, thanks both to the beauty of the places and to the presence of numerous and qualified fine hotels.
The place name probably comes from the Latin "vallis" that literally means "valley".
The first settlements in the territory of Vaglia go back to the age of the Ligurians, to whom succeeded the Etruscans and then, to these latter, the Romans.
During the Early Middle Ages the village of Vaglia started to consolidate in its actual aspect around a parish founded before year 1000 and entitled to Saint Peter.
Since the beginning the control of village was gave to the Diocese, that held the control of Vaglia up to the beginning of the XIV-th century, when it passed to the Florentines.
These latter annexed Vaglia to the domains of the Republic of Florence and, during the middle of the XVI-th century, added the village to the Legacy of Tagliaferro, being this latter added to the Vicarship of Scarperia.
During the Florentine domination Vaglia was governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then by the Lorena's Dukes, who promoted the development of the local economy so that Vaglia experienced a period of political stability and economic growing.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the invasion of the territory operated by the Napoleonic troops. The French occupation ended on 1814 and then Vaglia came back again to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's Dukes.
Vaglia reached its municipal autonomy just after the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Vaglia we point out here the Santuario di Montesenario (Sanctuary of Montesenario), the Pieve di San Pietro (Saint Peter Parish), the Chiesa di San Romolo a Bivigliano (Saint Romolo Church in Bivigliano) and the Pieve di San Cresci a Macioli (Saint Cresci Parish in Macioli).
Among famous people who were born in Vaglia we remind the painter Angelo Nardi, also known as "da Razzo" (1584-1660).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Vaglia we remind the traditional "Finocchiona Festival" held yearly on the first Sunday of October and that celebrates with popular dancings and competitions the "finocchiona", typical and tasty Florentine sausage, born there in the middle of the XIX-th century.