|Back to the province of Grosseto
Photo © Christihan
Gavorrano (ZIP code 58023) is 34,5 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Gavorrano has a population of 8.135 inhabitants (Gavorranesi) and a surface of 164,01 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 49,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 273 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Bruno Buozzi 16, phone ++39 0566 - 843111, fax ++39 0566 - 843252: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Gavorrano had a popolation of 7.951 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.135 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 2,31% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.459 families with an average of 2,35 people per family.
Photo © Christihan
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 9 and 532 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 523 metres.
Work and workers:There are 132 industrial firms employing 431 people that are the 31,64% of the total of the workers. There are 161 service firms employing 279 people that are the 20,48% of the total of the workers. There are also 125 firms employing 427 people that are the 31,35% of the total of the workers. There are also 49 administrative offices emplying 225 workers that are the 16,52% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.362 workers, that are the 16,74% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Gavorrano rises on a hill placed to the east of the Follonica plane.
The local economy is mainly based on the industrial activity of extraction and processing of the marble and pyrite.
Photo © Lforzini
The place name probably comes from the Latin name of person "Gavorrus".
The place name was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 1164, with reference to a castle placed in Gavorrano, that was gave to the Count Alberto of Mangona by Federico I.
During the domination of the Alberti of Mangona, Gavorrano was elevated to the rank of Common.
Around the end of the XII-th century Gavorrano was subdued by the Pannocchieschi's Counts, of the Elci's, and in 1278 Paganello Inghiramo of Pannocchieschi, called Nello, became Podestà of the village.
The Count Nello of Pannocchieschi made the so called Stone Castle erected in Gavorrano. This castle passed to the legend because it was the place where Pia of Tolomei, Nello's second wife, was murdered by her husband. The great Italian poet Dante Alighieri remembered that event in his Divine Comedy (Purgatory V).
At the beginning of the XV-th century the Pannocchieschi's Counts sold their rights on the castle and on the whole village to the city of Massa. Later the village of Gavorrano was quarreled for a long by the city of Siena, that, after subduing Massa, seized Gavorrano in 1335.
Photo © Alienautic
Gavorrano followed the politic and economic events of the Republic of Siena until 1554, when the city of Florence subdued Siena and all its possessions and in 1559 the Florentine Republic annexed them to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
Gavorrano shared the fate of the Tuscan Grand Dukedom and also its successive submission to the Lorena's Dukes up to the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Gavorrano we point out here the Parrocchiale di San Giuliano (Saint Julian Parish), the Castel di Pietra (Stone Castle) and the Parco Minerario Naturalistico di Gavorrano (Mining and Naturalistic Park of Gavorrano).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Gavorrano we remind here the traditional "Countess' Jump" yearly held on August 6th. The celebration consists of a Medieval tournament involving the two districts, in which once the village was divided, the "Pannocchieschi's District" and the "Tolomei's District".