Back to the province of Grosseto

Massa Marittima

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Veduta di Massa Marittima

Massa Marittima (ZIP code 58024) is 52,3 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Massa Marittima has a population of 8.825 inhabitants (Massetani) and a surface of 283,76 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 31,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 380 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Garibaldi 8, phone ++39 0566 - 913711, fax ++39 0566 - 902052: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.massamarittima.gr.it.

Population: The municipality of Massa Marittima had a popolation of 9.518 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.825 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -7,28% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 3.910 families with an average of 2,26 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 19 and 916 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 897 metres.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Palazzo dei Priori

Work and workers:There are 181 industrial firms employing 652 people that are the 26,17% of the total of the workers. There are 231 service firms employing 449 people that are the 18,02% of the total of the workers. There are also 199 firms employing 628 people that are the 25,21% of the total of the workers. There are also 105 administrative offices emplying 762 workers that are the 30,59% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 2.491 workers, that are the 28,23% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Massa Marittima rises along the south-eastern area of the Maremma Pisana (Pisa's Maremma).

The economy of the town is mainly based on the mining activities and partcularly on the extraction and manufacture of copper, iron, lead and pyrite.

The name place comes from a compound name by "Massa", that is a place name, and by the determinant "Marittima" with regard to its geographical position.

The first settlements in the area of Massa Marittima go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages but the final consolidation of the residential settlement coincided with the period between the VIII-th and IX-th centuries when the area was under the Aldobrandeschi's domination, who erected many castles.

At that time the town, called "Old Massa", developed and became a bishopric.

During XIII-th century Massa Marittima was under the Pisa's domination and in 1223 it was elevated to the rank of common.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Veduta notturna del Duomo

During the same period started the forming of another residential settlement that was called "New Massa".

During Pisa's domination Massa Marittima experienced a great economic development that was supported by the growing mining activity with excavations in the close hills. The town also had a great population increase and during the thirteenth century it was enlarged and fortified by building a ring of walls and a whole of towers interposed among the two residential settlements that formed the so called "Fortezza Senese" (Siena's Fortress).

Since 1348 started a period of decline caused by spreading an epidemic of plague that heavily decreased the population. The economic and population decadence lasted up to the end of the eighteenth century.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Piazza Garibaldi

The coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power arouse the chances of Massa Marittima. The Dukes started a great work for the reclamation of the whole territory of the Maremma and thus promoted the repopulation of Massa Marittima and the growing of the economic activities connected to the mining activities.

In 1861 Massa Marittima was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Massa Marittima we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Chiesa di Sant'Agostino (Saint Agostine Church), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace), the Palazzo delle Armi (Palace of the Weapons), the remains of the Fortezza Senese (Siena's Fortress) and the Museo della Miniera (Museum of the Mine).

Among the several celebrations taking place periodically in Massa Marittima we point out the traditional "Balestro del Girifalco" held yearly on May the third Sunday and on August the second Sunday. During the celebration takes place a tournament in Medieval costumes.