|Back to the province of Grosseto
Monte Argentario (ZIP code 58019) is 41,5 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Monte Argentario has a population of 12.148 inhabitants (Santostefanesi o Portercolesi) and a surface of 60,29 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 201,49 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 5 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Rioni 8, phone ++39 0564 - 811911, fax ++39 0564 - 812044: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Monte Argentario had a popolation of 12.643 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 12.148 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -3,92% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 4.784 families with an average of 2,54 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 3 and 635 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 632 metres.
Work and workers:There are 272 industrial firms employing 782 people that are the 22,02% of the total of the workers. There are 303 service firms employing 662 people that are the 18,64% of the total of the workers. There are also 383 firms employing 1.298 people that are the 36,54% of the total of the workers. There are also 64 administrative offices emplying 810 workers that are the 22,80% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.552 workers, that are the 29,24% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Monte Argentario rises on the homonymous rocky promontory sheer from the Tyrrhenian sea.
The local economy is mainly based on the activity of the numerous food and building industries. Monte Argentario is a famous tourist resort thanks to the beauty of its lanscapes and the presence of numerous and qualified hotels.
The place name comes from the name of the promontory on which the town rises, so this latter name comes from the compound of the two Latin words "mons" (mount) and "argentum" (silver), with probable reference to the shine of its rocks.
During past geological ages the locality was an isle. Later it was joined to the shore by the accumulating sands that formed the isthmus on which today the town of Orbetello rises. In a second time the sand-dunes of Giannella and Feniglia formed.
In ancient times Monte Argentario was known with the name of "Cosano". The locality was quoted for the first time with its actual name in a poem dating back the V-th century wrote by the Latin poet Rutilio Namazio, the "De Reditu".
During the Middle Ages Monte Argentario belonged to the Three Fountains' Abbey that execised its jurisdiction up to the XII-th century.
From the XII-th century to the XIV-th century the village of Monte Argentario was first under the Aldobrandeschi's domination, then under the Orsini's family and in the end it passed to the Republic of Siena that started the fortification of the village.
In 1555 the city of Siena was besieged and defeated by both the Spanish army of Carlo V and the Florentine troops of Cosimo I of Medici, who conquered the whole property of Siena including Monte Argentario, Orbetello and Porto Longone (today named Porto Azzurro) in the isle of Elba.
In 1557 Monte Argentario entered the "Stato dei Presidi", founded by the Spanish King Filippo II and also including the towns of Orbetello, Porto Santo Stefano, Talamone and Porto Azzurro.
The village was equipped by sighting towers in order to contrast enemy incursions by sea and by building a ring of walls.
In 1646 the sea of Monte Argentario was theatre of a naval battle involving the French and Spanish navies, that ended with the victory of the French one, so thus this latter governed the "Stato dei Presidi" until 1735.
The "Stato dei Presidi" lasted until 1815, passing in turns from the French to the Spanish people and then to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom that annexed Monte Argentario to its domains.
In 1843 Monte Argentario became a common, whose seat was in Porto Santo Stefano.
In 1861 Monte Argentario was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most imortant monuments to see in Monte Argentario we point out here the Chiesa di San Rocco (Saint Rocco Church), the Convento del Noviziato (Novitiate's Convent), the Centro Didattico di Biologia Marina (Educational Centre of Marine Biology) and the Torri (Towers).
Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Monte Argentario we remind here the "Saint Erasmo's Feast" held yearly on June 2th and during which a race called "Rowing Race of the four Fortresses" takes place along with numerous popular celebrations and a night procession of boats.