|Back to the province of Grosseto
Orbetello (ZIP code 58015) is 44 kilometers far from Grosseto, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Orbetello has a population of 14.551 inhabitants (Orbetellani) and a surface of 227 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 64,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 3 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Don Carlo Steeb 1, phone ++39 0564 - 861111, fax ++39 0564 - 860648: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Orbetello had a popolation of 14.862 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 14.551 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -2,09% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 5.847 families with an average of 2,49 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 354 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 353 metres.
Work and workers:There are 332 industrial firms employing 1.197 people that are the 23,11% of the total of the workers. There are 482 service firms employing 1.146 people that are the 22,13% of the total of the workers. There are also 484 firms employing 1.673 people that are the 32,30% of the total of the workers. There are also 102 administrative offices emplying 1.163 workers that are the 22,46% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 5.179 workers, that are the 35,59% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Orbetello rises in the middle heart of the homonymous lagoon, placed in front of the promontory of the Argentario.
The economy of Orbetello is mainly based on cultural and sea-bathing tourism thanks to its great history and to the beauty of its coasts and its hilly landscape. The industrial activities are flourishing in the dockyard field and the transforming process of agricultural products. The fishing growing of basses and gilthead is famous in the whole Italy.
Orbetello was populated in the Prehistorical Age but the origin of the town goes back to the Etruscan Age as testified by the ring of walls dating back to VII century B. C..
The place name comes from the Latin word "Orbeto", that is a diminutive of the word "herba" meaning grass, whose was added the suffix "evrum" that literally means legume.
An official act of 805 testifies the donation of Orbetello by both Carlo Magno and Pope Leone III to the Abbazia delle Tre Fontane (Three Fountains Abbey).
During the Middle Ages the town was under the jurisdiction of that abbey until XIII century when Orbetello became an Aldobrandeschi family's feudal property.
During the first years of the fourteenth century Orbetello passed to the Orsini family of Pitigliano.
In 1414 Orbetello was conquered by the powerful city of Siena that started restoring the ancient walls. Therefore Orbetello entered the Republic of Siena and was under its control for more than a century.
In 1557 the Spanish and German armies besieged the town of Orbetello and made the town the capital of the State of the Garrisons, that was governed by the Spanishs. Filippo II of Spain started a great series of works for fortifying the town that ended in 1692.
During XVIII century the control of Orbetello passed first to the Austrians and then to the Borbone family of Naple.
In the first years of the nineteenth century the town subdued the Napoleonic invasion and then it was added to the Reign of the Etruria.
In 1815 Orbetello was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedome and it was under the Grand Dukes Medici's domination up to the Union of Italy. In 1861 Orbetello was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Orbetello we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of the Graces), the Chiesa di San Francesco di Paola (Saint Francesco of Paola Church), the Porta Medina Coeli (Medina Coeli Gate), the Porta del Soccorso (Gate of the Aid), the Polveriera Guzman (Guzman Powder Magazine) and the Laguna (Lagoon).
Among several historical events taking place periodically in Orbetello we point out here the "Carnevaletto da Tre Soldi" (Tuppenny Carnival), a procession of allegorical carts.