Back to the town of Roccalbegna
Tourism in Roccalbegna
The Medieval village of Roccalbegna
The village of Roccalbegna rises in a high position, perched on a rock top from which the "Fortress of the Sasso" and the "Castle" dominated the Albegna valley.
In the very heart of the town rises the Saints Peter and Paul Church, built during the XIII-th century and restored along the next centuries. Inside the religious building it is possible to admire some plates belonging to a polyptych painted by Ambrogio Lorenzetti (1280-1348), portraying an "Our Lady with the Child and the Saints Peter and Paul".
Continuing to walk along the uphill road on which the precedent building rises, it is possible to reach the Crucifix Oratory, built at the and of the XIV-th century. Inside the oratory are saved fine furnitures and holy ornaments, among them distinguish a painted cross by Luca di Tommè (1330-1390) and some paintings by Francesco Nasini (1621-1695).
Close to Roccalbegna it is also possible to visit the "Saint Catherine Ethnographical Museum" that illustrates the history and the tradition of the popular religiosity of the community of the areas of the Amiata and Labbro mounts.