|Back to the province of Livorno
Capraia Isola (ZIP code 57032) is 70,4 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Capraia Isola has a population of 335 inhabitants (Capraiesi) and a surface of 19,03 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 17,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 52 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Vittorio Emanuele 26, phone ++39 0586 - 905025, fax ++39 0586 - 905113: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Capraia Isola had a popolation of 267 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 335 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 25,47% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 184 families with an average of 1,82 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 5 and 445 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 440 metres.
Work and workers:There are 14 industrial firms employing 37 people that are the 18,69% of the total of the workers. There are 10 service firms employing 15 people that are the 7,58% of the total of the workers. There are also 33 firms employing 131 people that are the 66,16% of the total of the workers. There are also 7 administrative offices emplying 15 workers that are the 7,58% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 198 workers, that are the 59,10% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
The isle of Capraia is one the biggest isles of the Tuscan archipelago.
The economy of the isle is mainly based on the fishing activities and vine production. Remarkable is also the bathing tourism promoted by several and fine accommodation facilities.
The hypotesis about the origin of the place name are numerous. It probably comes from the name of the plant of "caper", whose cultivation is spread on the whole isle.
The first settlements in the area of Capraia go back to the Roman Age, as testified by several archaeological finds came to light in the isle, like a Roman "Domus" (Fine House) whose remains have been found nearby the actual port.
In the fourteenth century Capraia became a locality attended by the monks who built the Saint Stefano Church.
In 1055 the isle of Capraia was conquered by the Saracens whose domination lasted up to the eleventh century, when the isle became a Pisans' property. The Pisans erected some towers in strategic places of the isle and a fortress, called Forte San Giorgio (Saint Giorgio's Fortress), that later was restored and enlarged by the city of Genoa in the first years of the fifteenth century. Genoa's domination lasted until the beginning of the nineteenth century.
In 1814 Capraia was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte and in 1815, owing to the Treaty of Vienna, the isle became a domain of the Reign of Sardinia.
In 1861 the isle of Capraia was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Capraia we point out here the Chiesa di Santo Stefano (Saint Stefano Church), the Chiesa di Sant'Antonio (Saint Anthony Church), the Fortezza di San Giorgio (Saint Giorgio's Fortress), the Torre del Porto (Tower of the Harbour) and the Laghetto Stagnone (Stagnone Lake).
Among the several celebrations taking place periodically in Capraia we point out here the traditional "Squid Festival" held yearly on October. The festival takes place in two days: during the first day holds a fishing competition and in the following day takes place a festival, where it is possible to taste some typical fishing courses.