Back to the province of Livorno

Collesalvetti

© Reti e Sistemi Toscana.indettaglio.it

Collesalvetti (ZIP code 57014) is 24,6 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Collesalvetti has a population of 15.866 inhabitants (Colligiani) and a surface of 109,57 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 144,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 40 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Umberto I 1, phone ++39 0586 - 980211, fax ++39 0586 - 962151: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.collesalvetti.li.it.

Population: The municipality of Collesalvetti had a popolation of 15.087 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 15.866 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 5,16% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 5.827 families with an average of 2,72 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 2 and 462 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 460 metres.

Work and workers:There are 267 industrial firms employing 1.888 people that are the 40,58% of the total of the workers. There are 368 service firms employing 973 people that are the 20,92% of the total of the workers. There are also 281 firms employing 1.128 people that are the 24,25% of the total of the workers. There are also 91 administrative offices emplying 663 workers that are the 14,25% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 4.652 workers, that are the 29,32% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Collesalvetti rises along the lower valley of the Arno river.

The local economy is mainly based on the viticulture and on the activity of numerous mechanical, petrochemistry and dockyard industries.

The actual place name comes from the denomination "Collis Salvectis" that was quoted for the first time in a document dating back to 1272 and that is a compoud name of "colle" (hill) and the proper name "Salvetti".

The origin of the village and its successive consolidation occurred during the Middle Ages, when some people from Siena built a little fortress, whose around the community of Collesalvetti gathered. Also the building of the Saint Lorenz Parish, no more existing today, goes back to this time.

During the Middle Ages the locality started to depopulate because of the progressive spreading of the marshy areas caused by the periodical floods of the Arno river.

The period of the Pisan domination lasted up to the XIV-th century when the territorial expansion of the powerful city of Florence started and in 1554 it conquered the whole Pisan property, of which Collesalvetti was part.

The Medici's Grand Dukes, came to the power of Florence, extended their influence to the village of Collesalvetti that, thanks to the Grand Ducal interventions for the reclamation of the marshy lands, quickly started to repopulate.

The peasants, who once were escaped from that unhealthy place, came back to their native village and contributed to the development of a rural economy from which Collesalvetti came its richness.

During the Medici's domination the ancient Pisan fortress was transformed into a Grand Ducal farm that, when the Lorena's Dukes came to the power, had got more than twenty rural lands.

At the end of the XVIII-th century Collesalvetti reached its maximum economic development, becoming the very heart of the Grand Ducal farm.

At the beginning of the XIX-th century the territory of Collesalvetti was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who in 1808 elevated the town to the rank of autonomous common.

In 1814 the Treaty of Vienna assigned Collesalvetti to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, to which Collesalvetti belonged until 1861 when the town was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Collesalvetti we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Quirico e Giuditta (Saints Quirico and Juditte Church) and the Acquedotto Leopoldino (Leopold's Aqueduct).

Among famous people who were born in Collesalvetti we remind the literary man and philologist Pietro Fanfani (1815-1879).

Among the numerous celebrations yearly taking place in Collesalvetti we point out the "Fair of Collesalvetti" that takes place on September 5th and consists of a fair of local foods and wines as well as local artisan objects.