Back to the province of Livorno

Marciana Marina

Photo © Wikipedia
Marciana Marina

Marciana Marina (ZIP code 57033) is 147,5 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Marciana Marina has a population of 1.891 inhabitants (Marcianesi) and a surface of 5,64 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 335,28 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 3 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Viale G. Vadi 7, phone ++39 0565 - 99002/368, fax ++39 0565 - 904321: the E-Mail address is info@comune.marciana.li.it.

Population: The municipality of Marciana Marina had a popolation of 1.971 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.891 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -4,06% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 837 families with an average of 2,26 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 262 metres above sea level.

Photo © Wikipedia
Scoglio La Paolina

The altimetric spawn is thus of 261 metres.

Work and workers:There are 40 industrial firms employing 102 people that are the 12% of the total of the workers. There are 108 service firms employing 195 people that are the 22,94% of the total of the workers. There are also 151 firms employing 467 people that are the 54,94% of the total of the workers. There are also 20 administrative offices emplying 86 workers that are the 10,12% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 850 workers, that are the 44,95% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Marciana Marina rises along the western coast of the isle of Elba.

The local economy is mainly based on the tourist activity also thanks to the numerous hotels and holiday camps.

The place name comes from a compound of the proper name of person "Marcius", and later the suffix "-anus" was added to the name, and the specification "Marina" with reference to the position of the town along the coast.

The history of Marciana Marina is tied up the isle of Elba one.

The first settlements in the area go back to the Bronze Age, as testified by the finds of some ceramics dating back to 1400-1300 B. C..

During the Etruscan and Roman Ages Marciana Marina was well known for its mineral richness.

After the collapse of the Roman Empire, Marciana Marina, as the whole isle of Elba, suubdued continuous Barbaric invasions and sacks up to the beginning of the XII-th century.

Photo © Wikipedia
Torre degli Appiani

At the end of the XII-th century Marciana Marina was under the Pisan domination. At that time a sighting tower and a fortified ring of walls were erected.

In the battle of the Meloria, occurred on 1284, the Pisans subdued a grave defeat and they lost its domains and its autonomy. During the same period the Lords of Piombino, the Appiano's family, got the possession of Marciana Marina.

The Reinassance period was the most economically and culturally flourishing for Marciana Marina.

The Appiano fortified the village taking in account its strategic position for the control of the channel of Piombino.

Under the guide of Donna Paola Colonna, Gherardo Appiano's wife, Marciana Marina became one of the most important villages of the isle of Elba, thus showing a relevant economic growing.

After the death of Donna Paola Colonna, Marciana Marina passed to Riccardo Orsini, who was Lord of Piombino. The town was under his jurisdiction until 1474, when Jacopo IV of Appiano succeeded him.

Jacopo IV of Appiano promoted the trading activities and, by exempting the inhabitants from some taxs, thus also promoted an additional economic development of Marciana Marina. The Jacopo IV's Lordship lasted until 1510.

Between the XVI-th and XVII-th centuries the Medici's Grand Dukes and the Spanishs settled down the whole isle of Elba. From then Marciana Marina was under the control of both the Appiano's family and the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

By dieing the Appiano's last descendent Marciana Marina passed first to the Ludovisi's family and then to the Boncompagni's one, up to enter again the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

Photo © Wikipedia
Marciana Marina

At the beginning of the XIX-th century Marciana Marina sundued the French invasion that occupied the territory of the whole isle of Elba until 1814.

In 1815, owing to the Treaty of Vienna, Marciana Marina was assigned to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, taking part to the Grand Dukedom until 1861, when the town was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Marciana Marina we point out here the Torre Pisana (Pisan Tower), the Casa degli Appiano (Appiano's House) and the Borgo Medievale (Medieval Village).

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Marciana Marina we remind here the traditional "Saint Agabito's Horse Race" held yearly on August 18th. The celebration consists of a historical parade in Medieval costumes and typical Medieval plays like the "Corsa del Ciocco" (Log Race).