Back to the province of Livorno

Piombino

Photo © Wikipedia
Piombino

Piombino (ZIP code 57025) is 103 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Piombino has a population of 33.917 inhabitants (Piombinesi) and a surface of 129,6 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 261,71 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 21 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Ferruccio 4, phone ++39 0565 - 63111, fax ++39 0565 - 63290: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.piombino.li.it.

Population: The municipality of Piombino had a popolation of 36.774 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 33.917 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -7,77% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 14.605 families with an average of 2,32 people per family.

Photo © Wikipedia
Immacolata Church

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 286 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 285 metres.

Work and workers:There are 469 industrial firms employing 5.710 people that are the 42,41% of the total of the workers. There are 850 service firms employing 2.376 people that are the 17,65% of the total of the workers. There are also 835 firms employing 3.388 people that are the 25,17% of the total of the workers. There are also 190 administrative offices emplying 1.989 workers that are the 14,77% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 13.463 workers, that are the 39,69% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Piombino is a coast resort placed on the southern extremity of the homonymous promontory.

The economy of Piombino is also based on industrial activity: the most productive are the metallurgical and the engineering industries and the ironworks. Besides citizens perform an ancient mining and manufacturing activity. The town also carries out an important role as a harbour connection to the Island of Elba.

Photo © Wikipedia
Bovio Square

Piombino comes from the ancient Roman harbour called Falesia which had a great economic increase after the devastation of the close town of Populonia caused by the Longobards.

Between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries Piombino was subdued to Pisan domination. Pisa took in count the strategic position of Piombino and built a large harbour and fortified it: later Piombino became an important slipway for the mines of the Island of Elba.

In 1284, because of the defeat subdued in the naval battle occured on Meloria during the war with Genoa, Pisa reduced its control on Piombino so that later the town could became an autonomous common.

In 1399 Piombino got its autonomy keeping it until 1594 when passed to Gherardo Appiano who made Piombino the main town of his princedome.

Because of an imperial decree, the Appiano family lost its princedome which passed to the Ludovisi family in 1634.

In 1646 Piombino was conquered by the Frenchs and only thanks to the Spanish army interventation in 1650 the Ludovisi could have back their princedome.

Photo © Wikipedia
Populonia Necropoli

The Ludovisi's domination lasted until 1706 when Piombino was inherited by the Buoncompagni family. They owned the city up to 1801.

In 1805 Piombino was again under the French domination: Napoleone Bonaparte gave the town to his sister Elisa Baciocchi.

Finally Piombino was annected to the Tuscan Grand Dukedome owing to the Treaty of Vienna and it stayed under Tuscan domination until 1861 when it was annected to the Reign of Italy thanks to King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to visit in Piombino, we point out here the Pieve di Sant'Anastasia (Pieve of Saint Anastasia), the Cappella della Misericordia (Chapel of the Misericordy), the Chiesa di Sant'Antimo (Saint Antimo Church), the Fontana dei Canali (Fountain of Canali) and the Forte Rivellino (Rivellino Fortrees).