Back to the province of Livorno

Porto Azzurro

Photo © Wikipedia
Porto Azzurro

Porto Azzurro (ZIP code 57036) is 134,2 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Porto Azzurro has a population of 3.211 inhabitants (Portoazzurrini) and a surface of 13,3 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 241,43 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 2 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Banchina IV Novembre 19, phone ++39 0565 - 921611, fax ++39 0565 - 921641: the E-Mail address is portoazzurro.segreteria@elbalink.it.

Population: The municipality of Porto Azzurro had a popolation of 3.111 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.211 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,21% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 1.208 families with an average of 2,66 people per family.

Photo © Wikipedia
the church of San Giacomo

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 516 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 515 metres.

Work and workers:There are 76 industrial firms employing 227 people that are the 19,14% of the total of the workers. There are 145 service firms employing 382 people that are the 32,21% of the total of the workers. There are also 172 firms employing 494 people that are the 41,65% of the total of the workers. There are also 23 administrative offices emplying 83 workers that are the 7,00% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.186 workers, that are the 36,94% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Porto Azzuro rises along the eastern coast of the isle of Elba, opening onto the Mola gulf.

The economy of the town is mainly based on tourism thanks to the beauty of its landscape and its numerous and fine hotels.

Photo © Wikipedia
the Church of Sacro Cuore di Maria

In the ancient times Porto Azzurro was named Longone, being this name a reference to its position along the coast. In 1873 it took the name of "Porto Longone" for the presence of its port and in 1947 the locality took its actual name of "Porto Azzurro" with reference to the colour.

The first settlements in the area of Porto Azzurro go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, when the extraction and manufacture of the mineral deposits of the area were already practised.

The real consolidation of the residential settlements occurred on the XI-th century, when Porto Azzurro was under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Siena that exploited the mineral resources of the area.

At the end of the XIV-th century the Appiano family installed in the territory, thus taking the power on Porto Azzurro away from Siena. The Appiano’s Lords started the fortification of the town in order to prevent from the Barbarian invasions who periodically wasted the territory.

At the end of the XVI-th century Porto Azzurro passed to the Spanish who started to restore and fortify the town. They also promoted the restarting of the mining exploit and in 1602 the Spanish King Filippo III made the "Fortezza Longone" built.

In 1646 Porto Azzuro was besieged by the French army and in 1700 it was conquered again by the Spain.

In 1714 the town was officially annexed to the Reign of Naples but in 1801 the coming of the Napoleonic army in the isle of Elba forced the King to give up to Napoleone Bonaparte.

Photo © Wikipedia
Porto Azzurro

During the Napoleonic domination Porto Azzurro experienced an economic period of richness thanks to the promoting of the agriculture and particularly of the vine production.

After the collapse of the Napoleonic Empire the whole isle of Elba passed to the Lorena’s Dukes, who relaunched the local economy promoting the mining production.

In 1861 Porto Azzurro was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Porto Azzuro we point out here the Forte Focardo (Focardo Fortress), the Fortezza Longone (Longone Fortress) and the Piccola Miniera (Little Mine).

Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Porto Azzuro we point out here the traditional "Saint Giacomo Patron Feast" held yearly on July 26th with music shows and fireworks.