|Back to the province of Livorno
Rio Marina (ZIP code 57038) is 124 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Rio Marina has a population of 2.152 inhabitants (Riesi) and a surface of 19,55 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 110,08 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 10 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Salvo D`Acquisto 6, phone ++39 0565 - 925511, fax ++39 0565 - 924151: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Rio Marina had a popolation of 2.043 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.152 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 5,34% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 988 families with an average of 2,18 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 352 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 351 metres.
Work and workers:There are 37 industrial firms employing 97 people that are the 10,90% of the total of the workers. There are 84 service firms employing 147 people that are the 16,52% of the total of the workers. There are also 85 firms employing 264 people that are the 29,66% of the total of the workers. There are also 34 administrative offices emplying 382 workers that are the 42,92% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 890 workers, that are the 41,36% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Rio Marina rises in the southerner area of the Elba isle, close to the Calamita and Ginevro mountains.
The economy of the town is mainly based on cultural and bathing tourism also thanks to several fine accommodation facilities.
The place name refers to the moving of some ancient settlements, called Rio nell’Elba, to the close beach.
The first settlements in the area of Rio Marina go back to the Etruscan Age. At that time the economy was active in the mining and manufacturing of the pyrite from which the iron is made. It lasted for a short time under the Roman Empire.
Owing to the collapse of the Roman Empire started a period of decline that lasted for a long. During that period Rio Marina was first under the Byzantines’ domination, then under the Longobards’ one and later the town was invaded by the Barbarian people.
The community of Rio Marina developed officially around 1200 under the Pisan Republic that allowed a recovery of the mining activities thus promoting the populating of the area of Rio Marina.
In 1392 Pietro Gambacorti, Lord of Pisa, was murdered by order of Appiano family who took the power.
Jacopo of Appiano tried to fortify the town of Rio Marina promoting the building of a polygonal tower that dominated the town and permitted to see early the approaching enemy. Despite of this under the Appiano’s domination Rio Marina subdued several Barbaric invasions that caused the destroying of the town and the deportation of the population.
Owing to the Appiano’s collapse occurred on 1661 by dieing the last Appiano’s heir, the economy of Rio Marina raised its chances and the town was sold to the Ludovisi family.
Under the Ludovisi’s domination started a period of a great economic and population increase also thanks to the fortification of the town and the exploitment of the pyrite mines.
In 1799 Rio Marina subdued the French invasion who occupied all territory of the Elba isle until 1815 and elevated the town to the rank of free common.
After the French domination the Elba isle was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom. Rio Marina grew the mining production and thus the iron trade, getting its maximum development at the end of XIX-th century.
In 1861 Rio Marina was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Rio Marina we point out here the Chiesa di San Rocco (Saint Rocco Church), the Torre (Tower) and the Museo dei minerali dell’Elba e dell’arte (Museum of arts and minerals of the Elba isle).