|Back to the province of Livorno
San Vincenzo (ZIP code 57027) is 79,4 kilometers far from Livorno, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
San Vincenzo has a population of 6.528 inhabitants (Sanvincenzini) and a surface of 33,05 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 197,52 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 5 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via B. Alliata 4, phone ++39 0565 - 707111, fax ++39 0565 - 707299: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of San Vincenzo had a popolation of 7.175 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.528 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -9,02% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.755 families with an average of 2,37 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 646 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 645 metres.
Work and workers:There are 153 industrial firms employing 525 people that are the 24,62% of the total of the workers. There are 203 service firms employing 464 people that are the 21,76% of the total of the workers. There are also 256 firms employing 926 people that are the 43,43% of the total of the workers. There are also 44 administrative offices emplying 217 workers that are the 10,18% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.132 workers, that are the 32,66% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
San Vincenzo rises on the Valley of Cornia, along the Tirrenic coast.
The economy of San Vincenzo is mainly based on bathing resort by being able to rely on a large beach skirted by a thick pine-wood and a well equipped harbour.
According to tradition the first settlements of the community of San Vincenzo go back to the Etruscan Age. The town developed around a tower, known as Tower of San Vincenzo. Then the town took the name of that tower.
Between IX and V-th centuries B. C. San Vincenzo was largely populated and it had such an economic prosperity thanks to the exploitment of minerals found on the close hills and forests.
The ancient Etruscan tower was fortified during Roman Age in order to defend the urban centre by possible hostile invasions. The Romans made the Via Aurelia go through the tower and it supposed they built a village around the tower.
At Barbaric invasions Age the Longbards built a castle, called Bisemo Castle, that during the Middle Ages passed to the family of Gherardesca’s Counts and then it was destroyed in 1304 by the Republic of Pisa.
Under the Pisan domination was built a coastal tower and a jetty. Around them a fishermen’s community was formed.
After the downfall of Pisa San Vincenzo passed to the city of Florence and in 1406 it was incorporated in the territories of Campiglia.
During the next years the Pisans tried to conquer again San Vincenzo and in 1505 there was a decisive battle near the coastal tower between Florence and Pisa that was supported by Bartolomeo d’Alviano’s army. Finally Florence won the battle and thus maintained the control of San Vincenzo.
From then on San Vincenzo entered the Florentine orbit and the Tuscan grand Dukedom sharing with them their history until the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in San Vincenzo we point out here the Chiesa di San Vincenzo Ferreri (Saint Vincent Ferreri Church), the Parco Naturale di Rimigliano (Natural Park of Rimigliano) and the Buche Carsiche (Karts Holes).