Back to the province of Lucca

Barga

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Santa Maria a Loppia

Barga (ZIP code 55051) is 39,4 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Barga has a population of 10.018 inhabitants (Barghigiani) and a surface of 66,52 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 150,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 410 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via di Mezzo 45, phone ++39 0583 - 72471, fax ++39 0583 - 724780: the E-Mail address is urp@comunedibarga.it.

Population: The municipality of Barga had a popolation of 10.201 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 10.018 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,79% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 3.838 families with an average of 2,61 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 132 and 1.991 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.859 metres.

Work and workers:There are 192 industrial firms employing 1.891 people that are the 42,47% of the total of the workers. There are 246 service firms employing 609 people that are the 13,68% of the total of the workers. There are also 270 firms employing 1.134 people that are the 25,47% of the total of the workers. There are also 87 administrative offices emplying 819 workers that are the 18,39% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 4.453 workers, that are the 44,45% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Barga rises along the hilly area placed in the middle of the valley of the Serchio river, surrounded by the Tuscan and Emilian Apennine and by the Apuane Alps.

The economy of the town is mainly based on trading activities. Remarkable is also the industrial production in the engineering field.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Santa Maria a Loppia: campanile

The first settlements in the area of Barga go back to the Neolithic Age, when some tribes of Ligurian origin lived there.

The official history of he community of Barga started on X-th century, as some historical documents testify. At that time the town was feudal property of the Longbard Rolandinghi family.

The place name comes from the pre-Latin "barga" with the probable meaning of "hut, hillock or dike".

During XI-th century different Lord-ships took turns to power until Barga had to subdue to the powerful city of Lucca.

Although several attempts to rebel to the domination of Lucca, Barga had a great economic growing as market of those products coming from the close villages.

In 1272 Barghesano di Bonaventura invented the first spinning wheel thus promoting the growing of the manufacture and the trade of silk.

In Barga came several merchants who sold their goods and then Lucca, thinking that its trading activity was compromised, first imposed a heavy duty on all products bought by merchants and on the end of XIV-th century it besieged and destroyed Barga.

Only in 1316 Barga started to populate thanks to the intervention of Castruccio Castracani. He became Lord of Lucca and started the rebuilding of the town.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Santa Maria a Loppia: facciata

After Castruccio Castracaniís death occurred on 1328, Barga was quarrelled by the powerful cities of Florence and Pisa up to 1341, when the community of Barga subdued voluntarily to the Florentine Republic staying under the Florentine jurisdiction up to come to power the Lorena family.

During the Florentine domination Barga got several privileges, first the free taxation that promoted the economic growing whose main activity continued to be the trade.

During the first years of XIX century the Lorena family came to power and controlled Barga until the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.

In 1861 Barga was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Barga we point out here the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Duomo (Cathedral), the Conservatorio di Santa Elisabetta (Saint Elisabetta Conservatory) and the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace).

Among several celebrations taking place periodically in Barga we point out the "Barga Jazz" that is an International music festival held yearly on August.