|Back to the province of Lucca
Camaiore (ZIP code 55041) is 26,7 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Camaiore has a population of 30.013 inhabitants (Camaioresi) and a surface of 84,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 354,81 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 34 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza S. Bernardino 1, phone ++39 0584 - 9861, fax ++39 0584 - 986225: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Camaiore had a popolation of 30.648 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 30.013 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -2,07% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 11.610 families with an average of 2,59 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 1.221 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.220 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.185 industrial firms employing 3.758 people that are the 34,18% of the total of the workers. There are 890 service firms employing 2.204 people that are the 20,04% of the total of the workers. There are also 934 firms employing 3.258 people that are the 29,63% of the total of the workers. There are also 114 administrative offices emplying 1.776 workers that are the 16,15% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 10.996 workers, that are the 36,64% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Camaiore rises along the coast of the Versilia, in a dell surrounded by green hills.
The economy of Bibbona is mainly based on tourism, thanks also to the accommodation facilities recently built. Famous is the vine and olive production.
It is supposed that first settlements in the area of Camaiore go back to the Roman Age. The presence of such ancient settlements can be seen in the actual urban structure that is characterized by the typical plant of the Roman "castrum" with the alignment of the roads in the north-south and east-west directions.
After the collapse of the Roman Empire Camaiore underwent many Barbaric invasions until the city of Lucca, helped by the Longbards, came to power. In that period were built the first religious buildings in the town.
During the thirteenth century some powerful feudal families settled down in Camaiore and constricted the Lords of Lucca to leave the town. In 1230 Lucca reached to come to power again. Therefore Camaiore was added to its domains and 1308 became the Chief Town of the Vicarship of Lucca.
Between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries Camaiore underwent many other invasions and dominations, for those reason Lucca decided to fortify the town by building a ring of walls. In 1440 Camaiore was conquered by the city of Florence but in 1470 Lucca came again to power, holding its control on the town for the next centuries.
During the domination of Lucca Camaiore showed its faithfulness towards Lucca putting down an increasing revolt against the city. Then Lucca erected an arch as a concrete sign of gratitude to Camaiore.
Since the seventeenth century the power of the domination of Lucca started to decrease causing the loss of some territories of Camaiore which were annexed by the town of Viareggio. Camaiore also lost its title of Chief Town.
In 1801 Camaiore was invaded by the French army of Napoleone Bonaparte who formed the Republic of Lucca.
After the French domination the control of Camaiore passed to Maria Luisa of Borbone who governed until her death occurred on 1824. Then her son, Carlo Ludovico, came to power and kept its control until the accession of the grand dukes of Medici who added Camaiore to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
The Mediciís domination lasted until the Union of Italy and in 1861 Camaiore was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Camaiore we point out here the Collegiata (Collegiate Church), the Badia (Abbey), the Chiesa della Confraternita del Santissimo Sacramento (Confraternity of the Holiest Sacrament Church), the Chiesa della Santissima Concezione (Holiest Conception Church) and the Museo archeologico Comunale (Municipal archaeological Museum).