|Back to the province of Lucca
Pietrasanta (ZIP code 55045) is 36,5 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Pietrasanta has a population of 24.127 inhabitants (Pietrasantesi o Pietrasantini) and a surface of 41,84 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 576,65 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 14 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Matteotti 29, phone ++39 0584 - 7951, fax ++39 0584 - 795280: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Pietrasanta had a popolation of 24.817 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 24.127 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -2,78% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 9.393 families with an average of 2,57 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 10 and 730 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 720 metres.
Work and workers:There are 868 industrial firms employing 3.222 people that are the 36,01% of the total of the workers. There are 682 service firms employing 1.482 people that are the 16,56% of the total of the workers. There are also 845 firms employing 3.091 people that are the 34,54% of the total of the workers. There are also 126 administrative offices emplying 1.153 workers that are the 12,89% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 8.948 workers, that are the 37,09% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Pietrasanta rises along the coast of the Versilia, surrounded by the Apuan Alps.
The economy of the town is mainly based on the marble extraction and manufacture. Flourishing is also tourism thanks to the typical charming of the medieval urban design and the beauty of the green hills dominating the scenery.
The origin of the town and of its name go back to the twelfth century and they are referred to the political events of the city of Lucca occurred on 1255. At that time the Lord of Lucca, Guiscardo Pietrasanta, moved his army from the close Fortress of Sala to the area where later developed the town of Pietrasanta.
Later the Fortress of Sala was fortified by Castruccio Castracani who ordered also the building of an additional fortress. Around the two fortress started to grow the first urban settlements of Pietrasanta.
During the next years Pietrasanta was under the domination of many different lordships as long as the city of Genoa came to power. In 1484 the town passed for a short time to the Florentines.
In 1513 Pope Leone X, after a long conflict between Florence and Lucca, assigned Pietrasanta to the Florentine family of Medici. Under the Mediciís domination Pietrasanta experienced a flourishing period thanks also to the Cosimo of Mediciís works for the reclamation of the territory and the urban improvements.
During the Mediciís domination Michelangelo Buonarroti went to Versilia looking for the marble material to build his statues and he found it in Pietrasanta. There he contributed to the opening of the marble mines.
In 1737 the Lorena family came to power and Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena continued the reclamation of Pietrasanta giving a great impulse to the economy that increase until 1799.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century all the territories of Versilia were invaded by the French army and they were added to Napoleoneís Empire.
Only after the collapse of the French Empire Pietrasanta started again its economic activities and in 1841 Leopoldo II of Lorena, coming back to power, elevated Pietrasanta to the status of Noble Town.
In 1861 Pietrasanta was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Pietrasanta we point out here the Chiesa di SantíAntonio Abate (Saint Anthony Abbot Church), the Battistero (Baptistery), the Chiesa di San Biagio (Saint Biagio Church), the Rocca di Sala (Sala Fortrees), the Torre delle Ore (Tower of the Hours), the Teatro Comunale (Municipal Theatre) and the Palazzo Moroni (Moroni Palace).