Back to the province of Massa Carrara

Casola in Lunigiana

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Santi Cornelio Cipriano

Casola in Lunigiana (ZIP code 54014) is 59 kilometers far from Massa-Carrara, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Casola in Lunigiana has a population of 1.230 inhabitants (Casolini) and a surface of 42,56 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 28,90 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 328 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Casola Capoluogo 32, phone ++39 0585 - 90013, fax ++39 0585 - 90150: the E-Mail address is comune.casola@lunigiana.ms.it.

Population: The municipality of Casola in Lunigiana had a popolation of 1.341 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.230 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -8,28% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 552 families with an average of 2,23 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 242 and 1.781 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.539 metres.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Santi Cornelio Cipriano

Work and workers:There are 13 industrial firms employing 32 people that are the 24,43% of the total of the workers. There are 31 service firms employing 41 people that are the 31,30% of the total of the workers. There are also 16 firms employing 38 people that are the 29,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 11 administrative offices emplying 20 workers that are the 15,27% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 131 workers, that are the 10,65% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Casola in Lunigiana rises close to the confluence of the Aulella and Tassonaro rivers, at the boundary between the Lunigiana area and the Garfagnana area.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, feeds, olives and the breeding of bovines.

The place name comes from the compound of "casola", coming this latter from the Latin "casula" with the meaning of "little house, hut", and of the specification "Lunigiana" that was added in 1863, with reference to the area in which the town rises.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Santi Cornelio Cipriano

The territory of Casola in Lunigiana was populated since the Palaeolithic Age but the real first settlements in the area go back to the Bronze Age.

The birth of the actual village occurred during the Early Middle Ages. During the next centuries the village of Casola in Lunigiana consolidated, becoming an important centre of the Lunigiana area under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Luni.

Later the village was bought by the Malaspina's local family of feudatories, who quarrelled for a long the village with the Bishopric of Luni.

During the XIV-th century the powerful city of Lucca conquered the village and put it under its jurisdiction.

During the domination of Lucca the village of Casola in Lunigiana became town hall of a Podestà's seat and thus it was fortified by building a ring of walls equipped with sighting towers.

During the next centuries the Republic of Florence conquered the village and, after restoring the fortifications and building an imposing fortress in the middle of the village, Casola in Lunigiana became one of the most important Florentine military places in the Lunigiana area.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Santi Cornelio Cipriano

During the XVI-th century the village experienced a period of economic growing related to the development of some artisan activities like the hemp manufacturing, followed by a considerable urban development carried out by the Medici's Grand Dukes.

During the first years of the XVIII-th century the village was subdued to the domination of the Lorena's Dukes, who aimed their policy to reclaim the territory, thus promoting an additional impulse to the local economy.

At the beginning of the XIX-th century the whole territory of the Lunigiana was invaded by the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte who occupied the area until 1814. When the French occupation ended, the village of Casola in Lunigiana entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's Dukes.

In 1861 Casola in Lunigiana was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Casola in Lunigianaa we point out here the Pieve di Codiponte (Parish of Codiponte), the Chiesa di Santa Margherita (Saint Margherita Church), the Parrocchiale di Santa Felicita (Saint Felicia Parish) and the "Museo del Territorio dell'Alta Valle Aulella" (Museum of the Territory of the High Valley of the Aulella river).

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Casola in Lunigiana we remind the traditional "Tomatoes Festival" held yearly on September and during which a show-market takes place where it is possible both to admire antiques and to taste good typical courses cooked according to the local traditional recipes.