Back to the town of Massa
Tourism in Massa
The Cathedral of Massa
The Cathedral of Massa was built during the XV-th century for the will of the Marquis Jacopo Malaspina but it was elevated to the rank of Casthedral just in the XIX-th century.
The main portal is surmounted by a lunette on which it is possible to admire a bass-relief portraying an "Our Lady with the Child between the Saints John Baptist and Francis".
Once entered to the Cathedral it is possible to admire along its sides some fine paintings place on each altar, among them an "Vergin's Incoronation" painted by Matteo Rosselli (1578-1650) and a "Trinity in Glory and the Saints John Evangelist, John Baptist, Peter and Giacomo", painted by Luigi Garzi (1636-1721).
Particularly suggestive is the Chapel of the Holiest Sacrament, whose inside it is possible to admire some remains of frescoes painted by Pinturicchio (1454-1513) and a triptych by Bernardino del Castelletto portraying an "Our Lady and Saints".
In the presbitery it is possible to admire six bronze-made candlesticks made by Ferdinando Tacca (1619-1686) and two marble-made statues by Giovanni Lazzoni, portraying a "Saint Francis" and a "Saint Bernardine".
Inside the Cathedral there is also an underground chapel hosting the "Sepulchre of Cybo Malaspina and the Bishops", consisting of some funerary urns that save the relics of the dukes and of the bishops of Massa.