Back to the province of Pisa

Casciana Terme

Copyright © Municipality of Casciana Terme
The town of Casciana Terme

Casciana Terme (ZIP code 56034) is 37,3 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Casciana Terme has a population of 3.538 inhabitants (Cascianesi) and a surface of 36,44 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 97,09 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 125 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Viale R. Margherita 9, phone ++39 0587 - 644411, fax ++39 0587 - 646312: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.cascianaterme.pi.it.

Population: The municipality of Casciana Terme had a popolation of 3.228 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.538 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 9,60% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 1.348 families with an average of 2,62 people per family.

Copyright © Municipality of Casciana Terme
Casciana Terme

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 43 and 507 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 464 metres.

Work and workers:There are 108 industrial firms employing 368 people that are the 40% of the total of the workers. There are 81 service firms employing 152 people that are the 16,52% of the total of the workers. There are also 97 firms employing 336 people that are the 36,52% of the total of the workers. There are also 25 administrative offices emplying 64 workers that are the 6,96% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 920 workers, that are the 26,00% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Casciana Terme rises along the high basin of the Cascina torrent.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of vegetables, fruits and olives and on the activity of numerous industries for the production of furnitures and building materials. Remarkable is also the thermal tourism that can pride numerous and well equipped thermal baths and hotels.

Since 1956 the locality was known as "Bagni di Casciana" (Baths of Casciana). Later it took its actual name, coming from the compound of the Latin name of person "Cassius", to which the suffix "-ana" was added, and of "Terme" (thermal baths) with reference to the thermal springs.

Since the Roman Age Casciana Terme was appreciated for the benefical and remedial properties of its water springs.

Around the XI-th century Casciana Terme is quoted in some official documents as a property of the Cadolingi Counts, who owned a Parish entitled to Saint Mary and also a castle.

Copyright © Municipality of Casciana Terme
Garibaldi Square

Between the XII-th and XIII-th century Casciana Terme was first under the control of the Bishops of Pisa and then it became possession of the city of Pisa.

In 1311 during the period of the Pisan domination the Podestà Federico da Montefeltro made a first thermal bath built.

At the beginning of the XV-th century Casciana Terme entered the orbit of the city of Florence. This started a long period of politic and economic stability.

During the Florentine domination the activity of the previously built thermal baths was increased and in 1621 the thermal baths of Casciana Terme were fully restored.

Nevertheless in the second half of the XVII-th century started a period of decline involving the thermal activity that, at the end of the same century, got its minimum.

Only in the XVIII-th century the coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power raised the economic chances of the village.

In 1780 the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena started a great work for the restoration of the thermal baths that was continued in 1824 by his successor, Ferdinando III.

Copyright © Municipality of Casciana Terme
Church of San Quirico e Giulietta

In 1826 the spring waters of Casciana Terme were analysed and the town got the title of "Italian Thermal Pearl" thanks to the particular characteristics of its waters rich of sulphur, calcium and carbon.

In 1861 Casciana Terme was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Casciana Terme we point out here the Pieve di Santa Maria ad Aquas (Saint Mary Church close to the Water), the Castello (Castle) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.

Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Casciana Terme we remind here the "Rabbit Festival" yearly held during the first week of August. During the festival some musical shows take place and it is also possible to taste different typical rabbit-made courses cooked following ancient local recipes.