|Back to the province of Pisa
Copyright © Kracypan@o2.pl
Chianni (ZIP code 56034) is 44,8 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Chianni has a population of 1.563 inhabitants (Chiannerini) and a surface of 62,02 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 25,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 284 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via della Costituente 9, phone ++39 0587 - 647282, fax ++39 0587 - 647377: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Chianni had a popolation of 1.614 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.563 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -3,16% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 675 families with an average of 2,32 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 65 and 675 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 610 metres.
Work and workers:There are 39 industrial firms employing 75 people that are the 33,63% of the total of the workers. There are 25 service firms employing 34 people that are the 15,25% of the total of the workers. There are also 28 firms employing 36 people that are the 16,14% of the total of the workers. There are also 18 administrative offices emplying 78 workers that are the 34,98% of the total of the workers.
Copyright © Aubreyr@nassig.sicily.navy.mil
There is a total of 223 workers, that are the 14,27% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Chianni rises at the source of the Cascina torrent, along the Valdera area.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and especially on the production of the famous chestnuts well known with the name of "marroni di Rivalto" (chestnuts of Rivalto). The town is a famous tourist resort thanks to the presence of sulphur springs, the beauty of its natural and artistic landscapes and the presence of numerous and fine hotels.
The place name probably comes from the Latin name of person "Clanius".
The first settlements in the area of Chianni go back to the Etruscan Age, as the numerous archaeological finds of Etruscan necropolis testify.
The real consolidation of the village of Chianni occurred along the Middle Ages when the community started to gather around a Longbard castle.
The castle of Chianni was quarrelled for a long among the powerful cities of Florence, Pisa and Volterra until 1288, when the village put itself under the protection of the Bishops of Volterra.
Few years later the Pisan army leaded by Guido da Montefeltro besieged and conquered the village, annexing it to the domains of the Republic of Pisa, maintaining this latter the control of Chianti for more than a century.
During the Pisan domination the inhabitants of Chianni tryed to rebel against Pisa up to the middle of the XIV-th century, when the emperor Carlo V gave again the village to the Bishops of Volterra, who exercited their jurisdiction up to the beginning of the next century.
In 1406 Chianni entered the domains of the Republic of Florence, under whose domination the village increased its economic importance.
The Florentine domination marked up the beginning of a flourishing period thanks to the exploitment of the allum mines in the territory and from which a sulpher mineral comes used for the textile manufacturing.
Along the XVII-th century, by coming the Medici's family to the power, the village was elevated to the rank of Marquisate and later it was gave to the Florentine Riccardi family as a feud.
Between the XVII-th and XVIII-th century, after the building of the Our Lady of the Carmine Sanctuary on a pre-existing religious building, Chianni became a very attending place by pilgrims, thus getting an additional importance.
At the beginning of the XVIII-century the Lorena's Dukes came to the power and in 1776 they annexed the territory of Chianni to the Podestà's seat of the close town of Rosignano: so that the village lost its autonomy.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Chianni we point out here the Pieve di San Donato (Saint Donato Parish), the Chiesa della Madonna del Carmine (Our Lady of the Carmine Church) and the Chiesa di Compagnia (Company's Church).
Among famous people who were born in Chianni we remind here the preacher Beato Giordano da Rivalto (1260-1311).
Among numerous celebrations taking place periodically in Chianni we point out here the traditional "Wild Boar Festival" held yearly on the middle of November and lasting six days. During the festival it is possible to attend some folkloristic parades and exhibits of street artists and also to admire the products of local craftsmanship and taste excellent typical courses.