Back to the province of Pisa

Guardistallo

Copyright © Wikipedia
Guardistallo

Guardistallo (ZIP code 56040) is 69,5 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Guardistallo has a population of 1.026 inhabitants (Gaurdistallini) and a surface of 23,81 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 43,09 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 278 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Palestro24, phone ++39 0586 - 651522, fax ++39 0586 - 651533: the E-Mail address is g.ribechini@comune.guardistallo.pi.it.

Population: The municipality of Guardistallo had a popolation of 938 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.026 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 9,38% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 450 families with an average of 2,28 people per family.

Copyright © Wikipedia
Castello di Guardistallo

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 17 and 294 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 277 metres.

Work and workers:There are 14 industrial firms employing 40 people that are the 12,31% of the total of the workers. There are 16 service firms employing 31 people that are the 9,54% of the total of the workers. There are also 22 firms employing 67 people that are the 20,62% of the total of the workers. There are also 11 administrative offices emplying 187 workers that are the 57,54% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 325 workers, that are the 31,68% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Guardistallo rises along the valley of the Cecina river.

The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and especially on a valuable vine production.

The place name comes from the German componund of "warda", that literally means "guard", and of "stall", that means "stable".

The first settlements in the territory of Guardistallo go back to the Neolithic Age, as the numerous archaeological finds came to light testified.

Later the area was populated by the Etruscans, to whom the Romans succeeded even if there is no historical data about the Roman Age.

Copyright © Wikipedia
Chiesa San Lorenzo e Sant'Agata

The foundation of the oldest settlement occurred around the VII-th century. At that time the Longbards dominated the whole area and built a castle, whose around the community of Guardistallo gathered, building along the XI-th century its own houses.

From then the castle was under the jurisdiction of the Gherardesca's Counts, who in 1154 gave it to the Bishops of Volterra.

The Bishopric of Volterra exercised its influence on Guardistallo up to the beginning of the XIV-th century, when the viillage was conquered by the Pisan army and annexed to the domains of the Republic of Pisa.

Along the same century the community of Guardistallo, suffering the Pisan domination organized recurrent rebellions against the Pisan power that were always put down. This belligerent atmosphere lasted up to the XV-th century, when Guardistallo put itself under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Florence, declaring its loyalty to this latter.

During the first years of the Florentine domination Guardistallo was elevated to the rank of common and fortified for the will of the Medici's Grand Dukes, who previously came to the governement of Florence.

During the middle of the XV-th century Guardistallo subdued the invasion of the imperial troops of Alfonso d'Aragona, King of Naples, causing this latter the devastation of the territory and of the fortifications.

Copyright © Wikipedia
Santa Maria del Carmine

After the Medici's domination, the Lorena's Dukes came to the power and in 1739 gave the village as a feud to the marquis Carlo Ginori. At that time the village was almost abandoned, with its ancient fortress falling into ruin and its dry and uncultivated lands because of the lack of water resources.

Only in 1776, thanks to the intervention acted by Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena, the community started again its traditional rural activities aiming to the vineyard cultivation.

The Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the French army, who occupied the territory of Guardistallo until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the town to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

In 1861 Guardistallo was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Guardistallo we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Lorenzo e Agata (Saints Lorenz and Agata Church), the Torre Civica (Civic Tower), the Villa Elena (Helene's Villa) and the Teatrino Marchionneschi (Marchionneschi's Little Theatre).

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Guardistallo we remind the "Young Wine Feast" held yearly on November in the "Piazza della Chiesa" by taking place folkloristic shows in honour of the wine, the olive oil and the earthly goods. During the celebration it is possible to taste some fine typical courses accompained by the good local wine.