|Back to the province of Pisa
Orciano Pisano (ZIP code 56040) is 42,1 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Orciano Pisano has a population of 628 inhabitants (Orcianesi) and a surface of 11,63 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 54,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 122 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza del Municipio 1, phone ++39 050 - 683018, fax ++39 050 - 683033: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Orciano Pisano had a popolation of 568 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 628 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 10,56% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 238 families with an average of 2,64 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 48 and 158 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 110 metres.
Work and workers:There are 16 industrial firms employing 87 people that are the 47,28% of the total of the workers. There are 14 service firms employing 33 people that are the 17,93% of the total of the workers. There are also 18 firms employing 50 people that are the 27,17% of the total of the workers. There are also 6 administrative offices emplying 14 workers that are the 7,61% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 184 workers, that are the 29,30% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Orciano Pisano rises on the Pisan Hills.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, olives, vine grape and on cattle breeding.
The place name probably comes from the Latin proper namen of person "Ursiano", to which was added first the suffix "-anus" and in 1862 the specification "Pisano".
The village of Orciano Pisano was founded during the Early Middle Ages. At that time a first castle was built in the territory, whose around the local community gathered starting to build its houses and develop the first economic activities.
Since the XI-th century Orciano Pisano was subdued to the jurisdicion of the city of Pisa that held the control of the village up to the beginning of the XV-th century.
In 1406 Orciano Pisano entered the domains of the Republic of Florence, after having this latter previously defeated the Republic of Pisa.
At the end of the same century Pisa besieged the village, supported by some faithful inhabitants to the Pisan power, and governed it up to it was defeated by Florence.
During the next centuries the political and economic fame of the village of Orciano Pisano increased, thanks to the Florentine policy that mainly aimed to promote the rural cultivations.
Entered the Medici's Grand Dukedom, in 1630 the Grand Duke Ferdinando II of Medici gave Orciano Pisano as a feud, with the title of "marquisate" to Roberto degli Obizzi. When this latter died, the Grand Duke confirmed the feudal property to the Obizzi's heirs, who the control of the village up to the coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power.
In 1783, by following their reforming program of territorial organization, the Lorena's Dukes abolished the feudalism and elevated the village of Orciano Pisano to the rank of autonomous common, putting it first under the jurisdiction of the Vicarship of Lari and then under that one of the Vicarship of Rosignano.
The Lorena's domination lasted almost uninterruptedly until the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Orciano Pisano we point out here the Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo (Saint Michael Archangel Church) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Orciano Pisano we remind the "Country Fair" held yearly on the second Monday of August and the "Saint Michael's Feast" held yearly on September 29th in honour of the Patron Saint.