Back to the province of Pisa

Santa Croce sull`Arno

Copyright © Apt Pisa The town of Santa Croce sull`Arno

Santa Croce sull`Arno (ZIP code 56029) is 42,9 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Santa Croce sull`Arno has a population of 12.472 inhabitants (Santacrocesi) and a surface of 16,99 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 734,08 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 18 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza del Popolo 8, phone ++39 0571 - 38991, fax ++39 0571 - 30898: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.santacroce.pi.it.

Copyright © Apt Pisa La Collegiata di San Lorenzo

Population: The municipality of Santa Croce sull`Arno had a popolation of 12.345 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 12.472 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 1,03% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 4.625 families with an average of 2,70 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 9 and 112 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 103 metres.

Copyright © Apt Pisa La Collegiata di San Lorenzo: il volto Santo

Work and workers:There are 857 industrial firms employing 5.594 people that are the 55,83% of the total of the workers. There are 522 service firms employing 1.417 people that are the 14,14% of the total of the workers. There are also 615 firms employing 2.359 people that are the 23,54% of the total of the workers. There are also 83 administrative offices emplying 650 workers that are the 6,49% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 10.020 workers, that are the 80,34% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Santa Croce sull'Arno rises along the left bank of the Arno river, in the lower Valdarno area.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables, fruit and fodders and on the breeding of bovines and swines. Remarkable is also the activity of numerous tanner, shoe making, mechanical and wood manufacturing industries.

The place name comes from the name of a close church entitled to the "Santa Croce" (Holy Cross) and in 1863 it got the specification "sull'Arno" (on the Arno river) for being placed along the left bank of the homonymous river.

The consolidation of the village of Santa Croce sull'Arno occurred during the Middle Ages when it was under the jurisdiction of the powerful city of Florence. In the XIII-th century the village was fortified, as some official documents testify.

Copyright © Apt Pisa Amaretti Santacrocesi

Along the XIII-th century Santa Croce sull'Arno quarrelled with the close villages of Fucecchio and Castelfranco di Sotto the rights to control and exploit the close Cerbaie wood that was an important economic resource.

The quarrel ended by stepping in the Podestà of Lucca, who assigned the wood to Santa Croce sull'Arno.

At the beginning of the XIV-th century the village of Santa Croce sull'Arno was subdued by the Republic of Pisa via a military action of Uguccione della Faggiola and in 1323, after a long siege, the village became a property of Pisa until 1327.

In 1328 Santa Croce sull'Arno subdued itself to the protection of the Republic of Florence, thus entering the Florentine domains.

From then started the artisan leather manufacture, becoming in the XIX-th century this latter the main source of economic richness of the town.

Copyright © Apt Pisa Carnevale Santacroce

Once entered the Florentine orbit Santa Croce sull'Arno shared its history and chances by passing first under the Medici's domination and then the Lorena's one.

Between 1840 and 1850 occurred the building of the first railway that, passing through Santa Croce sull'Arno, joined Florence to the port of Livorno. The railway was named "Leopolda" in honour of the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo II of Lorena who wanted to promote the trades of the leathers and thus the local economic increasing.

In 1861 Santa Croce sull'Arno was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Santa Croce sull'Arno we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Cristiana (Saint Cristiana Church) and the Collegiata di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Collegiate Church).

Among the numerous celebrations taking place periodically in Santa Croce sull'Arno we remind here the "Macaroon's Feast" held yearly on December 10th and 11th, during which it is possible to taste the "macaroon", a typical cookie made by yellow eggs, almonds and sugar, as well as to enjoy other good local courses.