Back to the province of Prato

Cantagallo

Photo © Municipality of Cantagallo
Cantagallo

Cantagallo (ZIP code 59025) is 29,7 kilometers far from Prato, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Cantagallo has a population of 2.813 inhabitants (Cantagallesi) and a surface of 95,03 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 29,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 423 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Luicciana 1 1, phone ++39 0574 - 95681, fax ++39 0574 - 956838: the E-Mail address is cantagallo@comune.cantagallo.po.it.

Population: The municipality of Cantagallo had a popolation of 2.536 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.813 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 10,92% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 1.123 families with an average of 2,50 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 300 and 650 metres above sea level.

Photo © Municipality of Cantagallo
Chiesa di San Biagio

The altimetric spawn is thus of 350 metres.

Work and workers:There are 115 industrial firms employing 792 people that are the 79,60% of the total of the workers. There are 47 service firms employing 78 people that are the 7,84% of the total of the workers. There are also 41 firms employing 91 people that are the 9,15% of the total of the workers. There are also 28 administrative offices emplying 34 workers that are the 3,42% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 995 workers, that are the 35,37% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Cantagallo rises on a hill placed in the high valley of the Bisenzio river, surrounded by the hills of the Tusco-Emilian Apennines.

The local economy is mainly based on the vine production and on tourism, thanks both to the beauty of its landscapes and to the presence of numerous fine and qualified hotels.

The place name comes from the compound of "canta" (sing) and "gallo" (cock).

The village of Cantagallo developed during the Middle Ages under the jurisdiction of some local feudatories who were close to the Vernio's Counts.

The first historical data go back to the XIII-th century, when the village was quarrelled between its inhabitants and the monks of the close village of Vallombrosa.

In 1271 Cantagallo became an autonomous common with its own statutes.

Due to its isolated position among mountain chains, the village did not subdue the devastating historical events that involved the whole Tuscany but for the same reason it did not enjoy the privileges of which other close villages enjoyed.

Photo © Municipality of Cantagallo
Riserva Naturale Acquerino

Up to the XIV-th century the village of Cantagallo was divided into different parts and subdued to the jurisdiction of different feudal families, among them the Alberti's Counts of Prato, who exercised a direct influence on Cantagallo also by way of some vassals of the same counts.

At the beginning of the XV-th century the territory of close village of Luicciana was united to that one of Cantagallo, becoming this latter a Podestà's seat.

Later the Podestà's seat of Cantagallo was united to that one of Montale, so that the village lost its communal autonomy.

In the middle of the XVI-th century Cantagallo entered the possessions of the Republic of Florence, passing first to the domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes and then under the influence of the Lorena's Dukes.

During the Grand Ducal Age the local economy had a great impulse thanks to the reforms acted by the Lorena's Dukes aiming both to an additional economic development and to the restoration of the town.

Photo © Municipality of Cantagallo
Chiesa Sant'Agostino

At the beginning of the XIX-th century the territory of Cantagallo was invaded by the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814, when the French occupation ended.

In 1861 Cantagallo was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Cantagallo we point out here the Chiesa di San Biagio (Saint Biagio Church), the Rocca di Cerbaia (Cerbaia Fortress) and the "Riserva Naturale Acquerino" (Acquerino Natural Reserve).

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Cantagallo we remind here the traditional "Montagna in Festa" (Feast of the Mountain) held yearly on July in the close locality of Luicciana and during which it is possible both to attend folkloristic celebrations and to taste the fine typical local foods.