|Back to the province of Prato
Poggio a Caiano
Poggio a Caiano (ZIP code 59016) is 8,9 kilometers far from Prato, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Poggio a Caiano has a population of 8.613 inhabitants (Poggesi) and a surface of 5,97 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 1.442,71 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 45 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Cancellieri 4, phone ++39 055 - 87011, fax ++39 055 - 8779807: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Poggio a Caiano had a popolation of 7.941 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.613 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 8,46% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.921 families with an average of 2,95 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 35 and 177 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 142 metres.
Work and workers:There are 468 industrial firms employing 1.407 people that are the 43,15% of the total of the workers. There are 224 service firms employing 569 people that are the 17,45% of the total of the workers. There are also 202 firms employing 768 people that are the 23,55% of the total of the workers. There are also 30 administrative offices emplying 517 workers that are the 15,85% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.261 workers, that are the 37,86% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Poggio a Caiano rises along the right bank of the Ombrone river.
The local economy is based on the activity of the several textile, tanner and shoe making industries. Remarkable is also the vine production.
The place name comes from a compound name of "Poggio" (hillock) and "Caiano" that comes from the Latin "Carius". The suffix "-anus" was added to the name later.
The first settlements in the area of Poggio a Caiano go back to the Roman Age but the real consolidation of the village occurred on the Middle Ages.
During the XII-th century the town of Prato built a bridge that, passing through the Ombrone river, connected the plane of Prato to Montalbano. At that same time a fortified castle was erected.
Poggio a Caiano, thanks to its strategic position, became an important centre for the river trading of the products coming from Prato.
In 1420 the Castle of Poggio a Caiano was under the jurisdiction of the Cancellieri's family, who added to the building a garden. Later the Cancellieri gave the castle, by the time transformed in a villa, to the Strozzi's family.
At the end of the XV-th century the Medici's family got the possession of the Villa of Poggio a Caiano whose property was maintained up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century. Lorenzo of Medici made the villa restored and enlarged following a design of the architect Giuliano da Sangallo (1443- 1516).
By dieing the Medici's last descendent, Poggio a Caiano passed to the Lorena's Dukes, who also got the property of the Villa.
The period of the Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory of Poggio a Caiano was invaded by the Frenchs, who stayed in Poggio a Caiano until 1814.
In 1815 Poggio a Caiano was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom and in 1861 the town was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Poggio a Caiano we point out here the Prepositura di Santa Maria del Rosario (Saint Mary of the Rosary Provostship), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church) and the Villa Ambra (Ambra Villa), dating back to the Medici's Age.
Among the celebrations periodically taking place in Poggio a Caiano we remind here the "Mercatino dell'Antiquariato" (Market of the Antique) held yearly on the second half of November.