|Back to the province of Pistoia
Pieve a Nievole
Pieve a Nievole (ZIP code 51018) is 15,8 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Pieve a Nievole has a population of 9.077 inhabitants (Pievarini) and a surface of 12,71 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 714,16 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 28 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza XX Settembre 4, phone ++39 0572 - 956345, fax ++39 0572 - 952150: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Pieve a Nievole had a popolation of 8.489 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 9.077 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 6,93% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.364 families with an average of 2,70 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 14 and 259 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 245 metres.
Work and workers:There are 339 industrial firms employing 1.858 people that are the 55,35% of the total of the workers. There are 265 service firms employing 627 people that are the 18,68% of the total of the workers. There are also 193 firms employing 636 people that are the 18,95% of the total of the workers. There are also 76 administrative offices emplying 236 workers that are the 7,03% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.357 workers, that are the 36,98% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Pieve a Nievole rises along the westerner slopes of the Albano mount.
The local economy is mainly based on the activity of numerous mechanical indutries and other ones working for the production of shoes and for the cork manufacture.
The place name comes from the compound of "pieve" (parish), with reference to an ancient parish that administered the local community, and of "Nievole", being this latter the name of a close torrent.
The birth of the village of Pieve a Nievole occurred during the Early Middle Ages around a parish entitled to Saint Peter, founded by Saint Frediano, who was the first Bishop of Lucca.
The parish is quoted in numeroud official documents starting from year 716, when it was subdued to the direct influence of the Bishopric of Lucca.
Since the beginning the village was subdued to the administration of the close locality of Montecatini Terme, of which Pieve a Nievole shared the economic and political chances.
Between the XII-th and XV-th century the village was quarrelled between the powerful cities of Siena and Florence, whose troops besieged repeatedly the territory of Pieve a Nievole causing considerable damages and alternating to the government of Pieve a Nievole.
In the middle of the XVI-th century the village of Pieve a Nievole entered the possessions of the Republic of Florence, being governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then by the Lorena's Dukes, who restored the whole town.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory of Pieve a Nievole was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
The French occupation ended on 1814, when the Congress of Vienna assigned Pieve a Nievole to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
The locality conquered its autonomy, parting from Montecatini, just after the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Pieve a Nievole we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Pietro Apostolo e Marco Evangelista (Saint Peter Apostle and Mark Evangelist Church), the Villa Martini (Martini Villa), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.