|Back to the province of Siena
Castelnuovo Berardenga (ZIP code 53019) is 22,9 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Castelnuovo Berardenga has a population of 7.417 inhabitants (Castelnovini) and a surface of 177,02 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 41,90 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 351 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Garibaldi 4, phone ++39 0577 - 3511, fax ++39 0577 - 355273: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Castelnuovo Berardenga had a popolation of 6.316 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 7.417 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 17,43% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.905 families with an average of 2,55 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 185 and 675 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 490 metres.
Work and workers:There are 106 industrial firms employing 342 people that are the 30,81% of the total of the workers. There are 118 service firms employing 186 people that are the 16,76% of the total of the workers. There are also 180 firms employing 483 people that are the 43,51% of the total of the workers. There are also 51 administrative offices emplying 99 workers that are the 8,92% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.110 workers, that are the 14,97% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Castelnuovo Berardenga rises in the valley extending between the Ombrone river and the Malena torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the agricultural activities and especially on the vine and oil production. The artistic craftsmanship is very famous for its quality too.
The place name comes from the name of a castle built around 1366 in the place by the republic of Siena. At that time the whole area was under the jurisdiction of the Berardenga's Counts and the village took its name from the Counts' name.
In 1382 the village of Castelnuovo Berardenga subdued an invasion by the Florentines leaded by Giovanni Acuto, who wanted to aim the control of the territory because of its strategic position.
During the next two centuries the Republic of Florence leaded numerous besieges in order to achieve the military occupation of the territory of Castelnuovo Berardenga.
In 1554 Florence defeated the city of Siena and annexed its state and its possessions to its own domains, thus also Castelnuovo Berardenga entered the Republic of Florence.
Since the XVI-th century Castelnuovo Berardenga was under the jurisdiction of the Florentine Republic, passing first under the control of the Medici's Grand Dukedom and then under the Lorena's Dukedom.
In 1777 a Lorena's reform decreed the union of Castelnuovo Berardenga to the close town of San Gusmè, brought into being the actual town of Castelnuovo Berardenga.
After the French invasion occurred on the beginning of the XIX-th century, Castelnuovo Berardenga was again annexed in 1815 to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Castelnuovo Berardenga was finally annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Castelnuovo Berardenga we point out here the Pieve dei Santi Giusto e Clemente (Saints Giusto and Clement Parish) and the Villas of Castelnuovo Berardenga.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Castelnuovo Berardenga we remid here the traditional "Grapes Festival" yearly held on the last week of September.