|Back to the province of Siena
Cetona (ZIP code 53040) is 88,5 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Cetona has a population of 2.855 inhabitants (Cetonesi) and a surface of 53,17 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 53,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 385 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Roma 41, phone ++39 0578 - 237611, fax ++39 0578 - 238616: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Cetona had a popolation of 3.028 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.855 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -5,71% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.161 families with an average of 2,46 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 250 and 1.148 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 898 metres.
Work and workers:There are 67 industrial firms employing 189 people that are the 29,81% of the total of the workers. There are 79 service firms employing 125 people that are the 19,72% of the total of the workers. There are also 70 firms employing 176 people that are the 27,76% of the total of the workers. There are also 23 administrative offices emplying 144 workers that are the 22,71% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 634 workers, that are the 22,21% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Cetona rises along the north-eastern slopes of the homonymous mountain.
The economy of the town is mainly based on the agricultural activities and especially on its valuable vine production. Remarkable is also tourism, being Cetona considered a suggestive place for its typical Medieval urban aspect and also a relaxing resort for its landscapes, characterized by a rich vegetation, that give to the town a particular quietness.
The first settlements in the area of Cetona go back to the Etruscan Age but the name of the town was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to the beginning of 1200 and testifying the presence of a castle belonged to the Ildebrandino Count.
The place name probably comes from the Latin word "caedita" that literally means deforestation with regard to a deforested and cultivated place.
During the thirteenth century Cetona was quarreled for a long by the cities of Siena and Orvieto. After a short domination by the city of Perugia, in 1418 the village of Cetona was bought by the Republic of Siena and thus annexed to the Siena's domains under the guide of Braccio da Montone.
During Siena's domination Cetona was restored and fortified by building a ring of walls spaced out by some towers and gates, thus becoming an important stronghold of the Republic.
Cetona was under the domination of the Republic of Siena up to the coming of the Medici family to the power occurred on the latter of the sixteenth century. During the Medici's domination the village of Cetona was given to the Marquis Chiappino Vitelli by Cosimo I of Medici. The Marquis started a restoring work of the urban plan and the building of a square, today known as Piazza Garibaldi (Garibaldi Square), that was the main gateway to the village.
In 1772 Cetona was elevated to the rank of Common and was joined to the close village of Sarteano until 1840.
In 1861 Cetona was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Cetona we point out here the Collegiata (Collegiate Church), the Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo (Saint Michael Archangel Church),the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace) and the Parco archeologico-naturalistico del Monte Cetona (Archaeological-natural Park of the Cetona Mountain).
Among the several celebrations taking place periodically in Cetona we point out the traditional "Carnevale Cetonese" (Cetona's Carnival) held on the last Sunday of the carnival period and that consists of a parade of allegorical carts and people in carnival costumes.