|Back to the province of Siena
Montepulciano (ZIP code 53045) is 63,9 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montepulciano has a population of 13.870 inhabitants (Montepulcianesi o Poliziani) and a surface of 165,51 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 83,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 605 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Grande 1, phone ++39 0578 - 7121, fax ++39 0578 - 757355: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Montepulciano had a popolation of 13.856 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 13.870 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,10% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 5.375 families with an average of 2,58 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 245 and 706 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 461 metres.
Work and workers:There are 428 industrial firms employing 1.561 people that are the 33,18% of the total of the workers. There are 377 service firms employing 713 people that are the 15,15% of the total of the workers. There are also 402 firms employing 1.210 people that are the 25,72% of the total of the workers. There are also 95 administrative offices emplying 1.221 workers that are the 25,95% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 4.705 workers, that are the 33,92% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montepulciano rises along the hilly hogback placed between the Valdichiana and the Val d’Orcia.
The economy of the town is mainly based on the agriculture and on the vine and olive production of the famous wine called "Vino Nobile di Montepulciano" (Noble Wine of Montepulciano). Very important is also tourism, promoted by the naturalistic beauty of the hilly landscape characterized by a thick woodland vegetation.
The place name comes from the unity of the word "Monte" and the Latin word "Policiano" with the collective meaning of "rural" that later became "Pulciano".
The first settlements in the area of Montepulciano go back to the Etruscan Age but officially the town is quoted for the first time in a document of 715 referring to a castle and a parish, entitled to Saint Mary, placed in the area of Montepulciano.
During the High Middle Ages the village previously formed was fortified by building a ring of walls.
During XII-th century the urban structure went to consolidate and in 1157 was erected a new ring of walls.
At the end of XII-th century started the conflicts between the powerful cities of Siena and Florence that quarrelled the possession of Montepulciano that, by being placed in a strategic position controlled both the Valdichiana and the Val d’Orcia.
In 1232 Siena besieged Montepulciano destroying the walls and the fortress that later were rebuilt including the close villages.
From XIII-th to XIV-th centuries the two opposing republics of Siena and Florence took turns to the control of Montepulciano while the population started developing his economy based on the production and trading of ford and saffron.
In 1404 a treaty was contracted between Siena and Florence, that ratified the final submission of Montepulciano to Florence.
During the Florenine domination was started a great work of urban restoring regarding the civic, religious and military buildings and also the arrangement of the road conditions.
In 1561 Montepulciano became first a bishopric and then was entitled as a city.
The works of urban restoring lasted for a long, continuing under the Lorena’s domination that started around the half of XVIII-th century and lasted up to the beginning of XIX-th century. The works were directed to build the religious buildings and a theatre, today known as "Teatro Poliziano" (Poliziano Theatre).
In 1844 was built the first railway at the valley bottom that promoted the growing of the trading activities and the moving of the productive centre to the valley bottom.
In 1861 Montepulciano was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Montepulciano we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Chiesa di Sant’Agnese (Saint Agnese Church), the Chiesa di San Biagio (Saint Biagio Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Palazzo Avignonesi (Avignonesi Palace), the Teatro Poliziano (Poliziano Theatre) and the Fortezza (Fortress).
Among famous people who were born in Montepulciano we remind the poet and philologist Angelo Ambrogini, called "the Poliziano" (1454-1494).
Among several celebrations taking place periodically in Montepulciano we point out the "Fiera delle Tre Berte" held on May, that consists of a show of agricultural products and machines. During the show it is possible to taste typical local foods and wines.