|Back to the province of Arezzo
Copyright © Prolocobadiatedalda.it
Badia Tedalda (ZIP code 52032) is 67 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Badia Tedalda has a population of 1.215 inhabitants (Badiali) and a surface of 119,12 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 10,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 700 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza dei Tedaldi 2, phone ++39 0575 - 714020, fax ++39 0575 - 714135: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Badia Tedalda had a popolation of 1.390 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.215 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -12,59% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 515 families with an average of 2,36 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 366 and 1.453 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.087 metres.
Work and workers:There are 42 industrial firms employing 161 people that are the 51,27% of the total of the workers. There are 32 service firms employing 60 people that are the 19,11% of the total of the workers. There are also 24 firms employing 62 people that are the 19,75% of the total of the workers. There are also 15 administrative offices emplying 31 workers that are the 9,87% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 314 workers, that are the 25,84% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Badia Tedalda rises among the hills of the Tusco-Emilian Apennines.
The local economy is mainly based on agricultural activities, on the cattle breeding and on the exploitment of the wooden resources.
The place name comes from the name of the Tedaldi's family, whose name comes from the German proper name of person "Teudald".
The origins of the locality go back to the Roman Age. At that time occurred its foundation, close to the important road joining the cities of Arezzo and Rimini.
After the collapse of the Roman Empire Badia Tedalda entered the "Exarchate" (a territory subdued to the imperial jurisdiction and controlled by an exarch), of which the city of Ravenna was the capital.
According to the tradidion, during the Middle Ages the Tedaldi's family founded first the homonymous Tedaldi Abbey and then the Abbey of Arduino.
During the next centuries the village and its two abbeys were quarrelled for a long between the monks and the Montedoglio's feudal family up to the XV-th century, when the Tedaldi Abbey entered the domains of the Republic of Florence, thus losing its rights on the village.
During the middle of the XVI-th century the Medici's Grand Dukes gave the village of Badia Tedalda as a feud to the monk Leonardo Bonafede, who executed the restoration of all the religious buildings according to a design of the two famous Buglioni's artists.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by dieing the last Medici's direct descendant, Badia Tedalda passed to the Lorena's Dukes, who, according to their policy for the territorial restoration, in 1775 elevated the village to the rank of autonomous common.
The Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the territory operated by the Frenc army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte. The French occupation ended on 1814, when Badia Tedalda entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, coming back to the Lorena's domination.
In 1861 Badia Tedalda was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Badia Tedalda we point out here the Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo (Saint Michael Archangel Church) and the remains of the Medieval village.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Badia Tedalda we remind here the traditional "Castles Race" held yearly on the week after the August Holiday and consisting of a horse race in which the winner wins the annual safekeeping of the "Castles' Drapery of Badia Tedalda".