Back to the province of Arezzo

Caprese Michelangelo

Copyright © Capresemichelangelo.net Pieve San Cassiano

Caprese Michelangelo (ZIP code 52033) is 50,5 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Caprese Michelangelo has a population of 1.625 inhabitants (Capresani o Caprociani) and a surface of 67,43 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 24,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 653 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza della Vittoria, phone ++39 0575 - 793611, fax ++39 0575 - 793589: the E-Mail address is sindaco@capresemichelangelo.net.

Population: The municipality of Caprese Michelangelo had a popolation of 1.701 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.625 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -4,47% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 684 families with an average of 2,38 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 399 and 1.407 metres above sea level. The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.008 metres.

Copyright © Capresemichelangelo.net The Church of San Cristoforo

Work and workers:There are 34 industrial firms employing 124 people that are the 30,17% of the total of the workers. There are 24 service firms employing 40 people that are the 9,73% of the total of the workers. There are also 47 firms employing 144 people that are the 35,04% of the total of the workers. There are also 8 administrative offices emplying 103 workers that are the 25,06% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 411 workers, that are the 25,29% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Caprese Michelangelo rises along the high basin of the Singerna torrent in the Val Tiberina area.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of vegetables and fruit and on the flowers cultivation. Remarkable is also tourism thanks both to the beauty of the natural landscapes and the presence of numerous and qualified hotels.

The place name comes from the Latin word "capra", with the meaning of "wild goat", to which the specification "Michelangelo" was added with reference to the famous artist Michelangelo Buonarroti, who was born in Caprese.

The first settlements in the area of Caprese Michelangelo go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light in the territory.

After the collapse of the Roman Empire started the domination of the Longbards, who exercised their influence on the whole territory.

Copyright © Capresemichelangelo.net Abbazia Tifi

During the Middle Ages the village of Caprese Michelangelo developed around a castle, under the jurisdiction of the Ranieri Counts of Galbino. The domination of the Ranieri Counts of Galbino lasted until 1226, when the village subdued itself to the protection of the city of Arezzo in order to escape from the bloody coflicts among the local feudataries.

In 1260 Arezzo lost the control of the village, passing this latter to the Guidi Counts of Romena who dominated for a long.

In 1324 the army of Guido Tarlati, Bishop of Arezzo, got and conquered again Caprese Michelangelo after a three months siege.

From then started a dark period in the history of the village, getting this latter to raise its economic chances in 1384 by subduing to the Republic of Florence.

In 1386 Caprese Michelangelo was elevated to the rank of Podestà's seat, reaching a great importance in the surroundings.

By coming the Medici's family to the power started a period of economic stability and artistic flourishment. The Medici made numerous fine and fascinating palaces built that are still admirable today.

In the middle of the XVIII-th century, by passing the power to the Lorena's Dukes, the first works for the reclamation of the territory were started in order to promote the economic increase that was mainly based on the agriculture and on the exploitation of the products coming from the close woods.

Copyright © Capresemichelangelo.net The remains of the Castle

At the beginning of the XIX-th century the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the territory by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814, when Caprese Michelangelo was added to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, coming back again to the Lorena's domination.

In 1861 Caprese Michelangelo was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Caprese Michelangelo we point out here the Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Church), the Chiesa di San Cristiano in Startina (Saint Christian Church in Startina), the remains of the Castle and the Casa del Podestà (Podestà's seat), today seat of the "Michelangelo's Museum".

Among famous people who were born in Caprese Michelangelo we remind here the famous sculpture, painter and architect Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564).

Among the numerous celebrations taking place periodically in Caprese Michelangelo we point out the traditional "Chestnuts Festival" held yearly on October, after the picking of the cestnuts, and that offers the oportunity to taste some fine typical local courses.