|Back to the province of Arezzo
Castel San Niccolo`
Castel San Niccolo` (ZIP code 52018) is 44,1 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Castel San Niccolo` has a population of 2.855 inhabitants (Stradini) and a surface of 82,99 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 34,40 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 380 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Piave 39, phone ++39 0575 - 571012, fax ++39 0575 - 571026: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Castel San Niccolo` had a popolation of 2.859 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.855 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -0,14% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.167 families with an average of 2,45 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 348 and 1.593 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.245 metres.
Work and workers:There are 98 industrial firms employing 381 people that are the 47,15% of the total of the workers. There are 83 service firms employing 172 people that are the 21,29% of the total of the workers. There are also 78 firms employing 222 people that are the 27,48% of the total of the workers. There are also 27 administrative offices emplying 33 workers that are the 4,08% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 808 workers, that are the 28,30% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Castel San Niccolò rises close to the Solano torrent, in the Casentino area.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of wheat, fodders, on the sheep-farming and on the activity of numerous industries for the manufacturing of textiles and potter's clays.
The place name comes from the compound of "castello", coming this latter from the Latin "castellum" (castle), and of "San Niccolò" (Saint Nicholas), from the name of a close church entitled to the homonymous saint.
The birth of the village of Castel San Niccolò and its consolidation occurred during the XIII-th century, when the powerful local family of the Guidi's Counts made a castle built, whose around the community gathered.
The castle became the residence of the Guidi's Counts who lived there up to the next century. After organizing a rebellion against the powerful local feudatories, in 1349 the inhabitants of Castel San Niccolò put themselves under the protection of the Republic of Florence.
Under the Florentine domination the territory was divided into four "comunitas" (communities), having each one its own autonomous statutes: Vado, Garliano, San Pancrazio and Cetica Sant'Angelo.
Since the beginning the village developed its economy based on rural activities, from which came the main essential goods.
Later the village of Castel San Niccolò become a market where flourishing trades of agricultural and textile products coming from the close towns took place, thus becoming one of the most important place for the trading activites of the Casentino area.
During the XV-th entury the Medici's Grad Dukes came to the power in Florence and constituted the Medici's Grand Dukedom, of which Castel San Niccolò took part.
During the Medici's domination the first works for the reclamation of the territory were started in order to restore all the marshy lands originated by the close torrent. The Grand Dukes also made a bridge built that joined the two banks of the torrent.
The restoration of the lands was continued and completed by the Lorena's Dukes, who came to the power at the beginning of the XVIII-th century when the Medici's dynasty became extinct.
In 1776 the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena granted the municipal autonomy to the village of Castel San Niccolò, whose territory was enlarged by adding the two close villages of Borgo alla Collina and Montemignaio.
After the invasion of the territory operated by the French troops of Napoleone Bonaparte, occurred on the beginning of the XIX-th century, the village entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom under the Lorena's government until 1861, when the village was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Castel San Niccolò we point out here the Chiesa di San Niccolò (Saint Nicholas Church), the Cappella del Crocefisso (Crucifix Chapel), the Pieve di San Martino a Vado (Saint Martin in Vado Parish), the Castello dei Conti Guidi (Castle of the Guidi's Counts) and the Loggia Granaria (Wheat Gallery).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Castel San Niccolò we remind the traditional "Medieval Feast" held yearly on July and that evokes typical Medieval uses and customs by taking place a historical parade in Medieval costume and an exhibition of local typical foods located inside the ancient castle.