|Back to the province of Arezzo
Civitella in Val di Chiana
Civitella in Val di Chiana (ZIP code 52040) is 12,9 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Civitella in Val di Chiana has a population of 8.612 inhabitants (Civitellini) and a surface of 100,37 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 85,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 280 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via L. Settembrini 21, phone ++39 0575 - 4451, fax ++39 0575 - 445350: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Civitella in Val di Chiana had a popolation of 7.649 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.612 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 12,59% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.991 families with an average of 2,88 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 182 and 634 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 452 metres.
Work and workers:There are 407 industrial firms employing 2.684 people that are the 69,09% of the total of the workers. There are 148 service firms employing 399 people that are the 10,27% of the total of the workers. There are also 138 firms employing 476 people that are the 12,25% of the total of the workers. There are also 53 administrative offices emplying 326 workers that are the 8,39% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.885 workers, that are the 45,11% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Civitella in Val di Chiana rises along the area extending between the valley of the Chiani river and the high valley of the Arno river.
The local economy is mainly besed on the production of cereals, chestnuts, grapes, olives and on the activity of numerous industries for the production of clothes and for the wood manufacturing.
There are two different hypoteses about the etymology of the place name: it could come from the diminutive of "civita", with the meaning of "remains of precedent buildings", or it could come from the Tuscan "civitella", being this latter a variety of wheat. Later the specification "Val di Chiana" was added to the name, with reference to the position of the town along the valley of the Chiani river.
The first settlements in the area of Civitella in Val di Chiana go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to those times.
During the Early Middle Ages the Longbards built their fortifications on the remains of some buildings dating back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, among them the Fortress is visible still today.
Between the IX-th and XI-th century the first religious buildings were founded on the territory, whose around the community of Civitella in Val di Chiana gathered and built its houses.
Since year 1000 the fortress of Civitella in Val di Chiana was subdued to the direct control of the Bishopric of Arezzo and, due to its geographical strategic position, the village bacame the town hall of the territories of the Ambra valley.
Along the XIII-th century Civitella in Val di Chiana subdued on its territory the conflicts existing bewteen the two political factions of the Guelphs (Papacy's supporters) and the Ghibellines (Empire's supporters), whose conflicts caused the destruction of the fortress.
In 1272 the Fortress of Civitella in Val di Chiana was rebuilt for the will of the Bishop Guglielmino, belonging to the Ubertini's family, but in 1289 it was conquered by the Florentine army, having this latter perviously defeated the city of Arezzo in the famous "Battle of Campaldino".
During the next century the village came back for a long time to the Bishopric of Arezzo and in 1384 it was definitely annexed to the Florentine countryside, becoming a Podestà's seat of this latter.
In the middle of the XIV-th cntury the village of Civitella in Val di Chiana subdued a siege by the army of Siena leaded by Pitro Strozzi but, thanks to the intervention of the Medici's troops, the enemies were drove out from the village.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century the property of Civitella in Val di Chiana passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who in 1774 elevated the village to the rank of autonomous common.
The Lorena's domination lasted almost uninterruptedly up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Civitella in Val di Chiana we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Maria (Saint Mary Church), the Rocca (Fortress) and the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Civitella in Val di Chiana we remind the traditional "Feast of Grape, Olive Oil and Wine" held yearly on the second week of September and during which it is possible to taste some fine typical courses accompained by the good local wines.