|Back to the province of Arezzo
Copyright © Mistertiberim@gmail.com
Loro Ciuffenna (ZIP code 52024) is 42,9 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Loro Ciuffenna has a population of 5.174 inhabitants (Loresi) and a surface of 86,67 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 59,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 330 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza G. Matteotti 7, phone ++39 055 - 917011, fax ++39 055 - 9172977: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org .
Population: The municipality of Loro Ciuffenna had a popolation of 4.452 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 5.174 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 16,22% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.978 families with an average of 2,62 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 217 and 1.593 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.376 metres.
Work and workers:There are 196 industrial firms employing 728 people that are the 54,65% of the total of the workers. There are 117 service firms employing 209 people that are the 15,69% of the total of the workers. There are also 92 firms employing 237 people that are the 17,79% of the total of the workers. There are also 36 administrative offices emplying 158 workers that are the 11,86% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.332 workers, that are the 25,74% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Loro Ciuffenna rises on the south-western side of the Pratomagno mount.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, olives, sugar beets and especially on the vine production. The local craftsmanship is very famous for the wrought iron manufacturing.
The place name comes from the compound of the word "Ciuffenna", that is the name of the river flowing nearby the town, and the specification "Loro", coming this latter from the Latin word "laurus", that means "laurel".
The first residential settlements in the area of Loro Ciuffenna go back to the Roman Ages, during which the village already had an important trading role. From the II-th century started the decline of Loro Ciuffenna because the Roman Emperor Giulio Cesare preferred to invest the resources of the Empire in the building of the city of Florence.
After the collapse of the Roman Empire the territory of Loro Ciuffenna was aoccupied by the Longbards, who contributed to develop a flourishing local economy.
Some official documents testify the presence of a castle in the area of Loro Ciuffenna starting to the X-th century. That castle was first under the jurisdiction of the Ubertini's family and then under the Gucciardo's one, being this latter under the direct influence of the Guidi's Counts.
Between the X-th and the XIII-th century the Guidi's Counts operated the fortification of the village of Loro Ciuffenna. They held the control but they were also under the influence of the Bishopric of Arezzo until 1293, when the village passed to the Republic of Florence, sharing with this latter its political chances.
During the XIV-th century Loro Ciuffenna subdued the consequences of the conflicts existing between the political faction of the Guelphs (Papacy's supporters) and that one of Ghibellines (Empire's supporters). The Guidi's Counts took advantages of those conflicts to conquer again the village.
Around the middle of the same century, after the conquer of Arezzo by the Florentine army, the political situation consolidated so to allow the increase of the local economy, mainly based on rural activities.
In 1642 Loro Ciuffenna became free common with its own statutes and during the XV-th century, under the domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes, it increased its economic importance.
In 1646 Ferdinando II of Medici gave the village as feud to Piero Capannori and under the jurisdiction of this latter, Loro Ciuffenna extends its influence to the close villages expanding its territorial properties.
During the same period started a phase of economic decline, being this latter the main cause of the acute rebellions existed along the XVIII-th century, culminating in the cruellest against the French army of Napoleone Bonaparte, who, at the beginning of the XIX-th century, occupied the territory.
The economy of Loro Ciuffenna raised up its chances only after the annexing of the town to the Reign of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Loro Ciuffenna we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta (Saint Mary's Assumption Church), the Basilica di Nostra Signora dell'Umiltà (Our Lady of the Humility Basilica) and the Museo "Venturino Venturi" (Museum entitled to "Venturino Venturi").
Among famous people who were born in Loro Ciuffenna we remind here the sculptor Venturino Venturi (1918-2002).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Loro Ciuffenna we point out here the traditional "Trout Festival" held yearly on April 25th, during which a fishing competition takes place. The winner receives a golden statue portraying a trout whereas the all fishing trouts are cooked and later by the all participants.