Back to the province of Arezzo

Lucignano

Photo © Wikipedia A view of Lucignano

Lucignano (ZIP code 52046) is 27,7 kilometers far from Arezzo, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Lucignano has a population of 3.468 inhabitants (Lucignanesi) and a surface of 44,86 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 77,31 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 400 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza del Tribunale 22, phone ++39 0575 - 83801, fax ++39 0575 - 838026: the E-Mail address is lucignano@comune.lucignano.ar.it.

Population: The municipality of Lucignano had a popolation of 3.349 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.468 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,55% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 1.226 families with an average of 2,83 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 252 and 530 metres above sea level.

Photo © Wikipedia The castle of Lucignano

The altimetric spawn is thus of 278 metres.

Work and workers:There are 106 industrial firms employing 605 people that are the 52,25% of the total of the workers. There are 60 service firms employing 113 people that are the 9,76% of the total of the workers. There are also 82 firms employing 322 people that are the 27,81% of the total of the workers. There are also 19 administrative offices emplying 118 workers that are the 10,19% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 1.158 workers, that are the 33,39% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Lucignano rises along the Chiana valley.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables and fruit.

The place name comes from the Latin proper name of person "Lucinius", to which the suffix "-anus", indicating "belonging", was added.

It is supposed that Lucignano was founded as a "castrum" (fortified settlement) by the Roman family of Licinia. The place name is related to this latter or to Lucio Silla, who conquered the city in the I-th century B. C..

Photo © Wikipedia The church of San Francesco

The real consolidation of the village of Lucignano occurred during the Middle Ages, despite the historical data started on the XIII-th century.

Because of the lack of official documents about times before the XIII-th century, it is supposed that Lucignano was a little village subdued to the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Arezzo.

Between the XIII-th and the XIV-th century the village was quarrelled among the cities of Arezzo, Siena, Florence and Perugia that took in turn to govern Lucignano up to 1390, when the city of Siena, supported by the army of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, conquered the village holding the control up to the middle of the XVI-th century.

In 1554 Lucignano was conquered and annexed to the domains of the Republic of Florence that, under the Medici's Grand Dukes, elevated the town to the rank of Vicarship.

The period of the Medici's domination was characterized by several architectural works for the urban restoration and fortification. During the domination of the Grand Duke Cosimo I of Medici and of his successors, the village of Lucignano was enriched of elegant palaces and fine religious buildings, like the Collegiate Church.

Photo © Wikipedia The church of Santa Maria delle Querce

At the beginning of the XVIII-th century Lucignano passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, who started the first works for the reclamation of the territory, thus promoting the development of the agricultural activities.

The Lorena's Dukes held the control of Lucignano up to the French invasion of the territory, ended only in 1814 with the annexing of the town to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

In 1861 Lucignano was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Lucignano we point out here the Collegiata (Collegiate Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis Church), the Oratorio della Misericordia (Oratory of the Pity) and the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace).

Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Lucignano we remind here the "Maggiolata Lucignanese" (typical feast coming its name from the month during which it takes place) held yearly on the last Sunday of May and consisting of a parade of carts with floral decorations and people in costumes.